Chapter Fourteen

When the teacher called your name for attendance, you could feel every drop of confidence and courage leave your body in an instant. 

What would you do? What would people think? What if your ploy with Eddie didn't help with your bullying problem, but worsened it?

All these poisoning thoughts flooded your head and the teacher called your name again. 

Eddie nudged your foot with his, trying to get your attention. Then the teacher is about to mark you absent before Eddie says "She's right here." and holds up your arm as proof.

The teacher appeared to be very confused and judgmental about your new look, only moving her glasses down her nose to look at you and grunting softly before carrying on with attendance. 

It feels like hours before she's done with role-call and the class is unleashed into an uproar of weekend plans and teenage gossip. 

Eddie walks up to your desk where you've been staring at the wall, unmoving, since your name was called. You could already hear the whispers floating around you. 

He sits on the desk and says "See? That wasn't so bad, now was it?" 

You don't look back up at him, but you do respond "It was so bad." and clunk your head against the metal table. 

He rubs your back, and you're grateful for the contact but wearily aware of the eyes on you at the same time. 

After some time, he just says "Want to hear why my hair was buzzed in middle school?" 

You snort a short laugh. He's trying to distract you from the disaster ahead of you. 

"Sure, why not." You say, semi-sarcastic. 

He immediately jumps off into his story, getting theatric in the way that he always did "When I was but a wee little lad, I had grown out my hair over the summer. I felt like the shit, Honestly! I was going to be the coolest motherfucker in the seventh grade." He stares off into space in faux nostalgia. 

"Well, when school time came around, it was so damn hot that I wore the tangled mass in a pony tale pretty much every day. Then, dear old dad, in true dad fashion, told me if I didn't stop dressing like a "little fag", he'd shave my hair himself." He puts air quotes around his dad's words. 

"When I basically told him to suck it, but, you know, in little kid words, He made me sit in the kitchen as he chopped off inch after inch and buzzed it all with his beard trimmer." 

You remain silent in the moments following his story, taking it all in. He continues after looking at you "Now, don't you feel better about your rad green hair after hearing about my bald era?" 

You laugh at him calling it his "Bald Era." and for a while, it feels like you're the only two people on earth, just as it did this morning. It seemed that every time you were near him all your trouble just melted away. 

After that, you actually do feel extremely better and continue talking with him until the end of the period. When the bell rings, Eddie grabs up your hand again and walks you to your next class. He doesn't sit in on this one, but sure enough when you exit he's there waiting for you. And he's waiting after your next class, and your next, always waiting for you to tell him about how much you hate/like the teachers and workloads. He does this right up to lunch. 

Come lunch-time, you learn that there's a special band practice going on in preparation for the pep rally the coming week. You decide to sit on the lawn and get some studying out of the way. You find a dry bench, upsettingly in the thick of the student body. It was one of the first nice days in a while, all the seniors were outside, and all of them could see you. 

After ten agonizing minutes of trying to study and ignore the stare, you see Eddie across the lawn, waving him down. When he gets there, you're standing in order to clear your book and note papers so he might have some space to eat. 

"Hey, princess. Miss me?" 

"Yeah, sure." You scoff, but secretly, you dreaded having to endure the rest of the day without him. 

You look around and realize that Ed's alone "Where's the Hellfire Club?" you ask. 

He drags you by the hips, in between his legs so you're standing directly in front of him and the table. "I'm the only senior." 

He pulls you in to hug you letting out a heavy sigh when you hold him back. 

When he pulls away he puts a dramatic hand over his heart and wipes away nonexistent tears "It's so hard being away from them." 

You swat at his chest and laugh "The struggles of a single dad." 

You talked like that for some time, you standing between his legs with his hands on your hips. Then, you have one of the best ideas you've ever had and practically jump out of his grasp to run over to your bag. 

He leans over to try and see what you're fishing around for "Whatcha doin'?"

You triumphantly pull out an eyeliner pencil "Aha!" 

He scoots back slightly like a scared animal, and you approach him as such. "What do you have there, Y/N?" He asks nervously. 

You wave a hand over your face "You got to do all this" Waving the same hand over his face "Now I get to mess with this." 

You're already back in your previous spot and he can't get away. He grabs the green streak in the front of his hair "You got to do this! That was our deal." 

"New day, new deal. Now pussy up." You say simply, grabbing his chin with one hand and uncapping the eyeliner with your teeth, popping the cap back on the end. "Close your eyes." You say in a sing-song voice. 

He complies, but not without complaint. He says you're poking his eye (You're not) or that he's allergic to make-up dye (He's not). 

When it's done, he looks hotter than you could have imagined. The smudged black around his eyes really put a nice little bow on his punk rock look. 

"There," You say, mimicking his words from first period "That wasn't so bad, now was it." 

You hold up a little compact mirror for him to see your work, he takes it and begrudgingly admits "It is kind of badass." 

"I know." Is your only response and the lunch bell rings. 

Ed hops down from the table and picks up your bag for you.

"Come on Ed, I can carry my own bag." 

"Nope." He says "I'm only carrying out my duties as your boyfriend. Cheesy chick flicks clearly state I have to carry your books for you." 

You let him carry your bag for you to your next class. Once you arrive, he hands you your bag and starts to turn around in order to leave. 

You stop him "Wait!" 

He turns around again "What's up?" He asks, leaning down slightly. 

You hesitate for a moment before putting a hand on one of his cheeks and kissing the other, leaving a faint red mark from your lipstick. He puts one hand up to where you kissed, just as he always does. 

"What was that for?" He stupidly asks.

You decide to have a little fun with him "You look so good in that eyeliner, I couldn't help myself." 

He starts to say something before your teacher comes out of the classroom to address you "Ms. Y/L/N, Mr. Munson! Though we all enjoy your display of young love, What I'd love is to carry on with my class." 

You turn bright red and quickly turn into the room, head down. You almost turn again to tell Ed about the lipstick mark, but decide against it, laughing to yourself about how he's going to walk around school like that.

Though, one thought lingers in the back of your mind.

There's only one "Mr.Munson" in this school and if they didn't see him, everyone definitely heard the teacher address him. 

Nick would hear about it soon, and that terrified you.