Chapter Thirty-One

You walked up and down the streets of Hawkins, looking for places that would hire you, overlooking that you've yet to graduate high school and have little to no working experience. 

Finally, you see a new restaurant. Or new to Hawkins at least. The sign in front read "IHOP International House Of Pancakes Est: 1958." 

From the looks of it, it was pretty busy and understaffed. You walked in and asked if they were hiring. When the hostess said yes, you asked to see the manager, which she gladly brought you to. 

You were led into an office with a very focused woman at a desk in the middle. She didn't seem to notice you, so you started the conversation. 

"Um, Hello. My name is Y/N I'm looking to work here." 

She looks up "Do you have a resume?" 

"No, but-" 

"Have you worked in a restaurant before?" 

"I used to help my aunt in her diner busing tables." 

"How old are you?" 

"18, 19 in about a week." 

She sighs and pinches the bridge of her nose, fighting off a headache "That's good enough, I guess." 

You smile, excitement coursing through your veins "Thank you so much! You won't regret this!" 

"I better not." She says under her breath "Chrissy will train you. You probably know her from school or something." 

"Yeah, I do we-" 

She holds up a hand to silence you "I don't care. Come back tomorrow at 8 o'clock sharp. You'll get your uniform and shadow her for the morning rush." 

She gets up to usher you out of the room "You're on your own for dinner, though." 

"8 o'clock." You say in agreement.

"Yes, see you then, now get out I'm very busy." 

You left the restaurant and made your way back to the station, where Eddie agreed to pick you up. You were so happy to be making some money that you didn't even think about how rude your boss was going to be. It was going to be hard, but it'll be worth it. 

Eddie met you at the station after you used a payphone to call him. 

After getting in his car you say "Guess what."

 "Chicken butt?" He says.

You bat at his arm playfully "No! I got a job, I start tomorrow at eight!" 

"Wow," He says "That's amazing! Do I finally get to be the trophy wife of my dreams?"

"Not a chance." You respond "You should get a job, too." 

"I don't think anyone will have me, Y/N." 

"Why not?" You ask "You should talk to some of the DnD guys, they might be able to get you in at their jobs." 

He laughs "Naive little Y/N, none of them have jobs. They're all teenage dirtbags like me." 

You scoff "You, naive little Ed, are no longer a teenager." 

"Whatever," He says "I'll ask around, maybe Steve or Robin can get me in somewhere." 

"Maybe." You say somewhat dazed. Everything was coming together for you and Eddie and you couldn't wait for the future to start.

The next day, you showed up at IHOP at 7:45, too nervous about being late to shoot for 8. Chrissy wasn't there yet but you could see some other people setting up so you decided to walk in and wait inside. It was fall now, and there was a nip in the air.