Chapter Thirty-Six

*2 Weeks Later* 

"Eddie!" You yelped as you missed one of the steps walking down the stairs from his trailer. While you weren't able to convince your parents to let you stay the night the day before, they let you go to his place after breakfast so the two of you could celebrate your birthday together in your own way. 

"Sorry, sorry!" He apologized, laughing slightly. 

He had some big surprise planned for you and claimed you needed to wear the blindfold until he took it off for you. 

You walked hand in hand for what seemed like miles. Then, finally, he stopped and you heard some faint shushing. 

He came up behind you and said "Close your eyes." 

"But I'm already wearing a blindfold?" 

"Just do it." He said. 

You sighed dramatically and closed your eyes under their cover, a huge smile plastered on your face. You felt him remove it and were thankful, it was getting really uncomfortable under there. 

"Ok, open your eyes!" He said with a flourish. 

You opened your eyes to reveal Robin, Steve, Nancy, Uncle Wayne, and some freshman from Hellfire that you'd grown fond of. They all crowded around a single picnic table covered in green streamers and rainbow balloons everywhere. In the middle of it were a dozen vanilla supermarket cupcakes with chocolate frosting.  

"Happy Birthday!" They all yelled. 

"Oh my god, you guys!" You exclaimed and ran forward to hug your friends and closely examine the cake. 

Uncle Wayne moved towards you "You must be Y/N, nice to meet you." He held out his hand for you to shake. 

You took it and smiled politely, introducing yourself. He'd just gotten back from his trip a few days ago and you hadn't had the time to properly meet. 

He leaned forward slightly and said in a loud whisper "Y'know, I heard you helped Eddie get a job. And that his grades are straighter since meeting you." 

"Yes sir," You respond "I've been doing my best to help him when he asks." 

"If there's anyone who can help him without trying to change him, it would be you." 

"I would never change him." You look wistfully in Ed's direction "He's perfect the way he is." 

*9 Months Later, Graduation*

You stepped off the stage after having just given your valedictorian speech. It was one of the most nerve-wracking things you've done, but it was worth it. 

When it was time for you to walk the stage you got up and received your diploma. Since your suspension, the principal had been fired for multiple accounts of negligent behavior. Some people even said she was having an affair with a student-athlete but you didn't think she was. Every student hated her. 

You shook hands with the new principal, a science teacher from the middle school. And Chief Powell. 

"I knew you'd do it, kid. Keep my job offer in mind, ok?" He said, shaking your hand. 

"Would it be weird if I hugged you, Chief?" You asked.

You were close with both him and Callahan. And a new "Assistant Chief" named Hopper, though he was generally on the more grumpy side than the other two. Even since Nick went to jail, you'd stopped by the station with donuts or coffee, sometimes it was just to hang out and bother Callahan on a slow day when you didn't have work.