Chapter Twenty

Toothbrush, deodorant, underwear, shirts... You make a mental list of what a week's worth of necessities will look like for you. Even though you know Eddie would never say anything about it, you felt self-conscious packing too many things you might not really need. You didn't want to encroach on his space more than you already were. 

Despite your internal worries, you were ecstatic to be staying with Eddie for the week. You blushed and smiled to yourself at the thought of almost fice more mornings waking up next to him. It truly was some of the best sleep you've ever gotten. The trailer was a safe place for you, and Eddie's energy was almost entirely to blame. 

Once you were all packed, you both went downstairs to bid goodbye to your parents. Sadly, the twins were already in bed so you'd have to call them later. 

You hug both of your parents, a duffle bag swung over your shoulder "Bye mom, bye dad. I'll see you guys next weekend." 

Your dad squeezes you tightly but says nothing in response. Your mom hugs you equally hard, but after you pull back, she looks at Eddie who was going through some of the pictures hung on the wall. 

"Have fun sweetie," She gives him one last glance before looking back at you "And be safe, please." Her tone has an underlying note of seriousness but she winks at you, also.

You turn bright red and look at Eddie, hoping that he didn't hear "Mom!"

"You do you, honey." Is her only comeback. 

After they're done with their goodbye to you, your dad goes to shake Ed's hand, still not saying anything but looking into his eyes intensely. Your mom also shakes his hand, but is much more friendly "Take care of our daughter." As an afterthought, she adds "I trust you." 

He gives a small, thankful smile "I will, Mary. I promise." 

And with that, you were off to Eddie's house once again. You stared out the window the whole time, consumed by a dreamlike state. Even though you said you'd just run away if your dad wouldn't let you go, you didn't really have the guts to disobey him like that. 

Then, as it always does, an unreasonably poorly timed bout of anxiety comes crashing down on you. One that makes you ask Ed "I can really stay with you?" You look from him back out the window, playing with the hem of your sleeve "I should have talked to you about it more."

 He looks at you briefly in the rearview "Y/N, I promise you can stay with me." A light blush creeps up his neck "I actually really like having you there." 

Even though your worries aren't entirely quieted, you feel a little better about your assumptions of hospitality. 

When you get to the trailer park, you practically jump out of the van and grab your bag, eager to get your makeup and outfit off. You looked good, but it was starting to feel scratchy and uncomfortable. The first thing to be dropped when you walk into the trailer is your boots which have been slowly but surely pinching your toes into one solid mass throughout the day. 

You sit down on the couch, a sigh escaping your lips as your weight is transferred from your feet to the cushions. As he always, does, Eddie sits next to you and puts an arm around you. 

The first thing he says to you is "Your mom is scary as hell." 

You snort, closing your eyes and scooting closer to him "You didn't even see her mad, that was just barely stern."

"Jesus Christ, what does mad look like." 

"You know the hulk?" You ask.

"Yeah?"

"That, but on steroids and about a thousand times angrier." 

"Jesus Christ." He repeats.

You giggle as sleep takes you by surprise and you doze off, leaning on his chest like a pillow. 

When he wakes you up, you can tell you've been sleeping for a while. Getting up tomorrow was going to be hard. You glance at a kitchen clock and see that it's just past midnight. You only had six hours to sleep before school, though you suppose that the naps you've taken today would make up for the lost time. 

"C'mon," Eddie says as he stands up, pulling you with him "You'll hurt your neck if you sleep sitting up." 

"Fine," You groan, already upset that you'll have to take the time to change and take off your makeup. 

Once you've cleaned up and brushed your teeth and hair, you make your way to the bedroom. Half asleep, you start stripping, already pulling on the clothes you left by the foot of the bed this morning. 

"Y/N!" You hear behind you just as you're about to unclip your bra.

"What?" You look behind yourself and the reality of what you're doing hits you like a tone of bricks as you find yourself half-naked in Eddie's room. In front of Eddie, for that matter. 

Eddie's staring at you, bright red and slack-jawed.  Something in both of you must have broken because neither of you says anything or move. 

For a while, you start at each other before you see the opportunity to mess with him and change your demeanor.  You take your hands off of the back of your bra and take a step towards him, he takes a step back but immediately hits the door. 

"What's wrong Eds? Never seen a girl without a shirt on before?" You take another step, a menacing gleam flicks across your features. 

He's still bright red and now has been reduced to a stuttering mess as he does his best to look you in the eyes "No, well, I mean, I have just, I've never seen you like..." He gestures up and down your body, only perhaps six inches stand between the two of you. He trails off but manages to find his voice again "Like that.

You laugh, you feel a bit red yourself now, but the look on his face is too much for you to stop now. Plus, you kind of wanted to see how far it would go before he pumped the brakes or you wussed out. 

You grab his hand and leave it hanging between both of you. You took another step, you're almost touching now. "Do I make you nervous, Eds?"