Chapter Thirty-Four

Callahan had a female officer bring you to the lost and found to get some more fitting clothes for the situation. Apparently, you needed to be wearing pants in government buildings, who knew? She told you how this all would work in a very calm tone but there was the underlying sense of pity that everyone who had talked to you today had. You couldn't wait for this to all be over so you would stop being the town charity case and just go back to being an average student with an average life ahead of her.

First, you'd stand behind the one-way glass in the interrogation room and properly ID Nick. Then, you'd be put in a separate room with a psychologist (who could apparently tell when you're lying) and be interviewed about the assault. Nick would get the same interview as you did with the same psychologist after you. Finally, if the stories matched he'd be put in a temporary holding location and stay in custody until his court date.

After he was sent to custody, there was nothing you could do besides testifying in court and hoping the jury is mostly women. Maybe you wanted the pity train to last until then on second thought.

Getting dressed, you caught your reflection in the shitty bathroom mirror. You looked like a train wreck with messy hair and running makeup. These borrowed clothes didn't even fit right. You splashed some water on your face and did your best to wipe off the remaining makeup with a paper towel and some soap. You ran your fingers through your hair in an attempt to detangle it and look somewhat presentable. It worked fine, you looked fine, but this isn't how you ever imagined confronting Nick would be.

You always had imagined yourself happy and triumphant, Eddie at your side and in clothes that were your own. Maybe it was crazy, but you wanted him to see how well you were doing, how powerful you'd become since he fucked up everything even resembling good in your life. You had wanted to come to him and tell him that he was a horrible person, that you hated him, that you found someone better.

That you were in love.

But you couldn't because who you loved didn't love you back. Because you ran away instead of talking it out. Because in this fucked up town the only place you felt you could go without question was a police station and to a couple of officers you barely even knew. Hell, you didn't even know Powell's first name.

You were brought to the glass room and saw Nick, just sitting there, staring right back at you. You knew in your heart that he couldn't see you, but he must know it was a window. Even he wasn't so vain as to stare at himself for that long.

"Is that him, Ms. Y/L/N?" The same female officer asked. You had a feeling she would be helping you from here on out.

You inhaled shakily "That's him. That's Nick Smith."

He looked...

Annoyingly perfect.

His hair was combed and for someone who was supposedly just dragged out of his home by the cops, he was dressed well. Lettermen jacket and everything. It was as if he wasn't just arrested. Like he didn't ruin all your plans for the future.

You couldn't bear to be there looking at him anymore. Since the station only has one interrogation room and you weren't the one being arrested, they closed off the break room during your interview.

The questions started easy and got harder as time went on, it lasted about half an hour, and by the end of it, you were physically and emotionally drained.

What is your name?

Y/F/N.

How old are you?

18, my birthday is coming up soon, though.

How do you know Mr. Smith?

He's a basketball player at my school, we were kind of together for a bit.