Chapter Twenty-Seven

A/N** I'm going to be (hopefully) submitting this story for the Watty Awards! I'm doing my best to finish this story before the deadline while not compromising the plot or future ideas. This means that updates with be more frequent but also that the closing arc will be starting g soon 😢 Wish me luck!

Back at the trailer, you couldn't stop pacing. It was making Eddie nervous.

"Please, Y/N, tell me what you're thinking so heavily about." He pleaded, you'd been silent for at least an hour.

Suddenly, you stopped "I need to make some calls." You said before disappearing into his room. He had the mind to leave you alone.

First, you called Nancy Wheeler. The two of you weren't close per se, but Robin had given you her number a while ago.

"Nancy?" You ask into the receiver. Mrs. Wheeler picks up and says she'll get Nance.

"Y/N?" Nancy says through the phone "What do you need?"

Usually, the forwardness might hurt your feelings, but you were on a mission. "I need some help snooping around, you up for it?"

"Snooping for what?" She asks skeptically, and rightfully so.

"I need to know what it takes to get someone arrested through a petition."

You can hear her sigh heavily "I don't know, Y/N, I don't think that kind of thing has ever worked."

"But it could." You respond.

After some time, she explains that you'd have to go to the station and have at least, a start of fifty signatures. You thank her and make your second call. To Robin.

"Which loser do I have the joy of speaking to?" SHe answers.

You chuckle and ask "Why do you answer the phone like that? What if it was someone really important."

"Important people should grow thicker skin, then." She replies smugly. "Anyways, what can I do you for?"

You explain that you need starting signatures for an arrest and her help to do it. She takes it extremely seriously and offers to give you a ride to the station. You agree and hang up, going to tell Eddie about your plan.

"Eddie," You say sternly "I have a crazy idea."

He perks up at the idea of finally hearing what's been on your mind.

"Lay it on me." He says.

You go to the couch and sit opposite him, taking his hands in your own. You inhale deeply "I have a plan to get Nick arrested." he says nothing and looks in your eyes expectantly. "There's a way, with enough witnesses, that we can petition for his arrest. Now, I don't know how well it will work, But I have to try."

You press a kiss to his knuckles and whisper again "I have to try."

He lays a hand on the side of your head, swooping his head down low and kissing you. He presses his forehead to yours and whispers "I'll do all I can."

You hear a honk outside a few moments later and tell him that it's Robin here to pick you up. he kisses you goodbye and wishes you luck before you leave. Standing in the doorway as you and Robin peel out of the park.

Very little is said on your way to the Police station, both of you understand how truly depressing the measures you've had to go through. Once you pull into the parking lot, you can feel an air of anxiety pooling at the base of your throat.

You had an idea then, to just say you're doing a presentation on the importance of the police for school, and you want to use one of the forms as an example. If your principal's reaction to your "Accusations", the cops wouldn't take you any kind of serious if you told them you were assaulted.

You walked in and went straight to the front desk. "Hi! I was hoping to talk to an officer? I'm doing a report on the importance of citizen-officer relationships."

She looks up at you bored. "Take a seat, I'll see who's free."

The you from 4 years ago would say who isn't free, but after all the mysterious child murders over the years, you wouldn't be surprised if there was an all-hands-on-deck situation that they were just keeping out of the public eye.

After what seemed like forever, the secretary comes back with a tall, lanky, all-be-it, handsome officer.

He walks right up to the two of you, both of you stayed seated so he's quite literally looking down at the two of you. You both quickly scramble out of your seats as you put out your hand "Y/N Y/L/N, pleased to meet you, Officer..."

He shakes your hand once, a smile forming beneath the beginnings of a seemingly sad mustache "Callahan, Officer Callahan. Nice to meet you."

"Well, Officer Callahan," Robin starts. "We were wondering if we could have a meeting of sorts with you? Little Y/N here has some questions for a school project."

He nods and gestures to the bullpen, where you assume his desk is. "Yeah," he says "Come right this way."

When all of you are seated at his desk, he folds his hands behind his head and leans back. "What do you need to know." He was very obviously trying to seem cooler than he was. He was young, too. Probably the youngest on the force, he looked to be about 23, 25 at the most.

You start, after all, you didn't really have a plan after "Get to the police station and get the form." so it's not like Robin could do all the talking.

"I was wondering about the process to get someone arrested via petition." You say "I've heard about people coming together and making an arrest when the Police don't have enough evidence."

He clears his throat. he was expecting something along the lines of "Have you ever shot anyone" or "Is going through the academy anything like 21 Jumpstreet?", not the hard-hitting bureaucratic questions you had in store for him.

"Well," He says "It depends on the crimes and the working officers."

You push forward "What if a group of people came forward to petition the arrest for assaulting a minor?" You put on the most innocent look you can muster "Sexually assaulting, of course."

He turns red, embarrassed by your question, and clears his throat again "We take assaults on a minor very seriously, I'd say if there was an absolute need for a petition and an arrest hasn't been made yet, there'd only need to be about 100 signatures." he pulls out a form "This would need to be completely filled."

You took it from his hand, giving a thank-you nod. After looking over the form for some time, you look up and shoot another question "And, Officer, what would the arrest and judging process look like."

"We'd need time to compile evidence against whoever the petition is for, then he'd be put to trial as if we had arrested him ourselves."

You asked if you could take the forms you'd need "As visual aids." Was your excuse. After asking a few softer questions, you got up, shook his hand again, and left. You stopped briefly at a payphone outside to call Steve to Eddie's trailer so you could get them all in on what you wanted to do. The only hitch was that you'd have to explain to Steve what had happened in the parking lot.