Pack

Dean

I walked into Emma's room, my fists clenched. Stiles sat on the bed, Emma fast asleep. Her head buried in a pillow that rested in Stiles' lap. His hand ran through her blonde hair over and over again, his eyes fixed on the wall in front of him. I cleared my throat as I walked in, his stare breaking and his eyes meeting mine. His eyes were red and wet. "Hi" he mumbled, his voice hoarse.

"Hi" I greeted, leaning against the wall. We sat in silence for a while, the only real noise was the occasional noise of Emma mumbling in her sleep.

"She does that a lot" Stiles finally spoke. "Talks in her sleep that is" he remembered, a depressed, far away look in his eyes. "I once had a whole conversation with her only to find out the next morning she was asleep" Stiles laughed sadly, shaking his head. A tear dripped down his cheek. "That's something I'm gonna miss" Stiles sniffled, breaking eye contact for a moment. I looked down, my heart only feeling heavier.

"Its not definite" I tried to argue but my voice fell flat, only adding to the hopelessness of the whole thing.

"Tell me honestly Dean, is there anything we can do?" Stiles asked, looking up at me. I sighed, pinching the bridge of my nose. I couldn't bring myself to say it. I wouldn't say it. It would be admitting it. "That's what I thought" Stiles replied sourly, his eyes falling back down to Emma's sleeping face. "Thanks for finally telling me" Stiles added after a few minutes of silence.

"I thought you should know. If I was in your place, I would want to know" I told him, stuffing my hands in my pocket.

"She would have never told me" Stiles said sadly, his hands getting tangled in her knotted hair. He combed through it, her hair falling against her back straight. "She thinks I can't handle it. She thinks that I will feel guilty" Stiles sighed, another tear running down his youthful cheeks.

"Do you?" I asked, resorting to fiddling with my necklace. Stiles chuckled, but with no trace of joy.

"Of course I do" Stiles sung in a defeated voice. "Its just like my mother. I get to sit and watch them die slowly. Each time, I'm helpless. Never anything I can do to make it better. Nothing I can do to save them" Stiles closed his eyes for a moment, more tears escaping.

"Your mother?" I asked before I could stop myself.

"Yeah. My mother died of cancer when I was eight. It destroyed me and my father. Things were bad for a while. You know, watching your mother deteriorate isn't great for the soul" Stiles joked. "My dad became an alcoholic and I got depressed. I'm sure you've heard similar sob stories" Stiles rolled his eyes.

"But you're okay now?" I asked, actually finding myself liking the kid.

"Things got better for me when Emma moved here. I mean I was already moving on but something about being with her made things so much better" Stiles began to talk to the wall again. "She has this-this light about her. A healing ability, excuse the irony" Stiles paused. "I'm sure you've noticed. Its pretty hard to not like her" Stiles smiled down at Emma.

"Yeah" was all I could reply. I couldn't agree with him more. I liked Emma, a lot. She was one of the best people I've ever known. And I did feel better when I'm around her, well besides the sadness of watching her die, I usually feel-feel happy.

"I don't want her to die" Stiles whispered, suddenly looking as if he was going to shatter into a million pieces.

"We could prolong it, you know until we found something. If she would just stop using her powers" I muttered, shaking my head. Stiles smiled at me.

"Emma can't stop. If they're people in danger, good people, Emma won't hesitate to help them. No matter the consequences. There's no way to put it off" Stiles explained, sighing again. Emma rolled over onto her back, her arms pushing the blanket off. I winced as the blue mark had reached the base of her neck. "How much time?" Stiles asked, his eyes focused on the mark.