Chapter 6 - Delayed Reactions

Adeline

While Jax drives to the diner, I try my best to ask questions about his day. Not just to distract him but to distract myself, too. It doesn't really work. He answers, but he doesn't add as many details as he usually does. I catch him glancing at me more than once, and he squeezes my hand a lot. He asks about my day, but he doesn't press me for details, speeding a little like he knows I'm waiting until we're all at the diner to share what I'm not saying.

Except I still don't really know how to share what I'm not saying. It's hard enough trying to think of a way to bring it up, and if I do bring it up...

I swallow, shaking my head. Jax and the guys will care about what happened. I know that. But what if they get too worried? What if this is too much to share?

They should know, though, right? It's something they have to know... I think... And I promised I would explain, so I have to share.

The car lurches to a stop as Jax parks in front of the diner. He looks at me for a second like he thinks I might say something to him now. I smile before I get out, hoping he knows I'll share soon. He follows a second later, taking my hand.

The guys, Jax, and I take our usual booth, pulling our homework out. We take turns to catch each other up on random gossip we heard throughout the day and complaints we have about teachers and classes and the college application process—not to mention the scholarship application process.

Throughout it all, Jax keeps rubbing his thumb along my bandage. I know he's waiting for me to say something about it, but I'm waiting for Mira to stop by to ask us if we want anything. It takes a while, but when she finally does, I ask her to sit with us for a second.

"I just miss you," I say with a smile, putting my hand over hers when she agrees to sit with us.

She laughs, putting her other hand over mine. "Only because I feed you."

"Well, yes." Mira gives me a mock gasp, and I laugh, adding, "But for other reasons, too." I squeeze her hand. I feel bad for using her as an opening, but I think it'll be easier this way. So I ask, "How was your day?"

"Pretty good," she says. "How about you guys?"

We go around the table, each telling her how our day was, starting with Ty and ending with me. I open my mouth, laughing nervously as I run my hands over my jeans. I knew it would be hard to say any of this, but I didn't realize how sweaty my hands would be or how hard my heart would pound. But now that I'm here and everyone's looking at me...

"It was... eventful..." I say, nodding slowly with each word.

"Oh, right," Santos grumbles, rolling his eyes. "Tell Mira about what happened this morning with the asshole."

I fill Mira in about what she missed in the morning. The others jump in with their own opinions about it. I wait for it to die down, staring at the daffodils on top of the seat behind the guys. So much for new beginnings.

I hang onto the thought as I quietly add, "And then Dean came up to me later in the day."

I say it so quietly that I don't think anyone hears. But Jax does. His head snaps to me, and his eyes darken to obsidian. "What did you just say?"

The others stop talking, looking at me and Jax with wide eyes. I swallow and repeat in a louder voice, "Dean came up to me again later in the day." I quickly tell them everything he said and implied. I hesitate when I get to the part about Cyril stepping in. I don't know what to make of it, so I brush over that detail of the story, ending with, "So... yeah... that was my day..."