Chapter 30 - Overdue Words

Adeline

Jax cuts the engine about an hour later when we're in the middle of the woods. I let out a breath when I realize we're not beneath the treehouse. I added some of my own decorations, and I don't want Jax to know I've been coming back every single day after school. I don't feel good lying to him about where I am after school—or about anything for that matter—but I need that time and space to write hate letters to myself and think about the day.

We get out of the car and shut the doors, the sound echoing around us. I hear a bird crow somewhere above us and the sound of flapping wings. The sun is still up, but the sky is starting to turn orange like it's on fire. The remaining sunlight streams through the leaves that are still on the trees, highlighting the leaves on the ground and the dirt path in front of us.

The path leads to the fenced-off clearing. Jax drove us all the way down the path on the motorcycle on our Night of Secrets, but I guess we're walking this time. Or Jax is walking this time... He crouches in front of me, indicating I should get on his back. When he doesn't let up, I give in and climb on, holding onto the picnic basket for us.

I rest my head on his shoulder, letting my eyes fall shut, but I murmur, "I can walk."

He hefts me a little higher on his back. "I know. But it feels nice having you so close. So this is more for me than for you."

I smile, pressing a kiss to his neck. "As it should be."

He walks the rest of the way in silence. When we get to the clearing, I slide off Jax's back and take a moment to look at the city on the other side of the fence. If we stay long enough, we can watch the lights turn on one by one. Probably the best view I've seen in my entire life.

Jax and I set up together. After a few minutes, we're sitting against the fence on a striped gray and white picnic blanket with food spread out around us. Jax scrolls through his phone as he sets up the bluetooth speaker. While he does that, I look through the basket in case we forgot to lay anything out. I pause when I see the box of condoms.

"What song did you want—?" His face turns red when he sees what I'm looking at. "I—My parents made me."

I laugh, ducking my head. When I straighten, I push my hair out of my face. Jax smiles at me, but he's still blushing. It's cute. I don't think he blushes easily, so when it happens, it makes my chest stir. Especially now since there's a chance we can actually meld into each other as silver and gold to become electrum. And if I'm being honest, I wouldn't mind. Not if it's with Jax.

I lean over and kiss him. "Your parents are smart."

He scoffs. "And intruding. You know they told your parents that they told me to buy condoms?" I make a face, making him laugh. "Yeah. I know. But if it makes you feel any better, they didn't tell me not to sleep with you, so they're not against it."

I blink. "Why would you think that would make me feel better?"

He laughs, taking my hand. "Because that means your parents don't hate me and that they trust me."

"Of course, they don't hate you. And of course, they trust you."

Jax smiles, glancing away. It feels like he relaxes a little, too, like he's been waiting for me to confirm that for a while. But I guess he still feels the need to prove that he's trustworthy because he says, "We don't have to do anything. It's there just in case, but we don't have to do anything."

I nod, looking back down at the condoms. "I know. But... why'd you pick the broken box? That's really sketchy."

He pauses, his jaw tightening. He lets go of my hand and starts splitting the food between us, his expression unreadable. "I crushed it by accident."