Chapter 11 - Rising Voices

Adeline

For the rest of the week, the guys and I take turns collecting Jax's missing homework and classwork for him. We head to his house at the end of the day together, sometimes bringing food or ice cream to cheer him up. Plus to distract him while I steal more of his clothes.

That's pretty much the only highlight of each day.

After that, I have to deal with my parents glancing at each other whenever they see me. Jax's parents told my parents about what Dean said in Kyrie's office. They don't outright ask me about it since I don't bring it up, but they ask me about my day with loaded glances. I always have a list of things to say that won't worry them. I know they're looking for more, but they never push. And I never give any details.

Why would I when people are constantly asking me for details at school about the fight? If it's not that, it's people giving me weird looks. But that's honestly nothing compared to Evren. It feels like he stops me in the hallways every time he sees me. Sometimes he'll ask about Jax and how he's doing. But most of the time, he asks how I'm doing and if I need to talk about anything or if I want to talk about anything. My answers are always the same: Jax is doing fine and I'm fine. I get that he's worried, but I find it a little weird that he's seeking me out so often. I guess it's his job, but still.

Then there's Faye and Cyril.

They don't come up to me or anything, but it feels like I'm seeing both of them more often. In the morning before the first bell rings. In the halls in between periods. During lunch. Even after school in the courtyard.

I'm probably just hyperaware of everything right now, though. And I can thank Dean for that. Even when he's not here, I find myself glancing over my shoulder and hurriedly getting my things from my locker before bolting to class.

The only thing that puts me at ease is when Jax texts or calls during the day. He's careful to text during passing period and to call during my free period and lunch, so I don't get in trouble. The guys have told me more than once that my face lights up whenever Jax's name and picture flash on my screen, but I always make a point to tell Jax he should be resting instead of being on his phone... before I text or talk to him for as long as I can before I have to go.

My phone vibrates right as I get out of the class before my free period. I smile when I see Jax's name and face. I slip into the nearest bathroom and check the stalls to make sure they're empty before I pick up the phone.

I try to keep my voice stern as I answer with, "You should be sleeping."

He doesn't hesitate to ask, "You're smiling, aren't you?"

I dig my nails into my bandage to stop the corners of my mouth from turning up. "No."

I can just see him rolling his eyes, but he doesn't comment on the amusement in my voice. "I'm bored."

I pace the bathroom, gesturing like Jax can see me. "That's why you should sleep, so you don't have to feel bored or anything."

"Why would I do that when I can talk to you?"

I laugh, my voice ricocheting against the white bathroom tiles. "I like talking to you, too, but I can't do that if you're dying. So go to sleep." After a pause, I add, "And be an azalea."

Jax laughs. "In that case, I'll sleep on the couch, so I can see you first thing when you come to dinner tonight."

I frown and stop walking, my back to the door. "Can you even stand up on your own right now?"

"We'll see."

I feel my heart pound. "Jax, don't. You'll fall down the stairs or something."

I hear rustling on his end of the line. "I'll be fine. My dad's home, so it's not like no one will find my body."