Chapter 31 - The Bad Side of Being Silver

Adeline

Monday morning feels a little more bearable than usual.

Talking to Jax and spending time with him on Friday was something I didn't know I needed, but of course, he realized that it was something we both needed. Just like him to do that. The thought makes the guilt butterflies settle and bite since I didn't come to the same conclusion, but their fluttering slightly overshadows the bites as I remember exactly what happened Friday. I can still hear him telling me he's in love with me and still feel him. His mouth. His hands. His entire body pressed against mine. The ghost of his touch is everywhere.

"What are you so happy about?" Mom asks when I come downstairs.

I shake my head. "Nothing."

Dad sits at the kitchen table, bringing his coffee mug to his lips. I can still see his smile and the glint in his eyes past the mug. "She's possessed. She's never happy in the mornings."

That's better than him accusing me of sleeping with Jax, but I still roll my eyes, pulling my keys out of my backpack. "Whatever, Dad. I'm gonna head to school."

"Don't pass the demon on to anyone else," Dad calls.

I turn around, so he can see me roll my eyes. Mom and Dad laugh, telling me they love me. I tell them the same and wave before leaving. I drive straight to school and park right as the guys are leaving their cars. Jax waits for me to get out and takes my hand. I smile up at him, tucking my keys in my backpack.

He bends his head towards mine, his breath stirring loose strands of my hair. "I love you."

It comes out the way you might talk to someone you're sharing a secret with. And maybe this is a bit of a secret that only we should know. I definitely wouldn't mind, but at the same time, I wouldn't mind if he told the entire world he's in love with me either. Even if I can't say it back yet.

That's where the guilt butterflies kick in again. I squeeze his hand, leaning into him. "I'm still not sure, and I don't want to lie to you about it."

He nods, squeezing my hand. "That's okay."

I hope so.

We join the guys, and they eye us. I don't know how much Jax actually told them because I definitely didn't mention anything. Not about our talk about being and doing enough for each other. Not about Jax telling me he's in love with me for the first time. And definitely not about having sex. I doubt Jax said anything about that last part either, but if he did, the guys wouldn't tease us about it. Maybe we're just acting differently than usual. If we are, that's pretty understandable.

We stand in a circle, listening to Aart mention something about college visits, but every once in a while, someone will come by and clap Jax on the shoulder. More often than not, they eye me right before they walk away. It makes me want to inch closer to Jax every single time. No one comments on it, but every time it happens, Aart talks a little slower, glancing between me and Jax.

"Adeline!" Someone grabs my hand and yanks me away from the group. I turn, coming face-to-face with Faye. She smiles at me. "Let's talk."

I blink, pulling my hand out of hers. I take a half-step back. "Why?"

"Because why not? I mean..." She glances past me at Jax and smirks. "I figured you would want someone to talk to after your weekend. And I don't know if you'd want to talk to any of these guys about it."

What? "What are we even talking about right now, Faye?"

She rolls her eyes. "Just—" She huffs and grabs my hand. "Come on."