Chapter 27 - Strange Requests

Jax

I cannot get out of school soon enough. The moment the last bell rings, I bolt out of class, pulling my phone out. I text Adeline that I'm on my way and ask if she wants anything specific. I've been checking my phone all day for texts or calls from her asking me to bring her something. Or from one of our parents telling me that they came to check on her and she died because they checked too late since I asked them not to check at all. Or Adeline telling me she's mad at me for not convincing them well enough to not check on her.

Just thinking about it all makes the weight on my chest heavier. It's been there all day ever since my conversation with Mom this morning. Longer actually because of yesterday. Still not too sure what it's about.

My phone chimes, drawing my attention back in.

Adeline: You don't need to get me anything specific. Thanks for letting me know you're on your way.

I'm so caught up in responding that I bump into someone.

"Sorry, dude," I say, looking up.

The moment I see who it is, I want to take the words back. I am sorry for bumping into Cyril. Not because it's rude but because I should really be punching him instead. He has to know that's what I'm thinking, but he still smiles at me for some reason.

"No worries, Jax," he says, nodding at me. "Going to see Adeline?"

Just hearing him say Adeline's name makes me want to strangle him. And why does he even notice that she's not in school? That's fucking weird.

"Yeah," I say. "I am."

He nods. "Tell her I hope she's feeling better than she was this morning." How the fuck does he know that she wasn't feeling well this morning? The question must show on my face because he adds, "I figured she must be sick if she's not in school."

"Right..." Still fucking weird of him. "Sure. I'll let her know you were asking about her."

When the apocalypse starts.

Cyril nods. "Cool. Thanks, Jax."

He claps me on the shoulder like we're good friends. That almost makes me elbow him in the jaw, but I brush it off and look back down at my phone. I quickly text Adeline a response, telling her I'll stop to get her food before tucking my phone away.

I meet up with the guys under our usual tree before we head to the diner. Mira already has everything prepared for us when we get there. She tries to catch my eye, probably wanting to ask about how I'm feeling after our talk this morning about doing the right thing. I nod at her, hoping she knows we'll talk about it some more later, but right now, I want to make sure Adeline's okay. She nods in understanding. That's why she's the best. We tell Mira we'll tell Adeline hi for her before heading to the Stargates' house.

When I turn onto their street, I swear I see someone running up the walkway to their house. But the moment I blink, they're gone. When I park in front of the house behind Adeline's car, it looks like the front door is just shutting. Weird... Maybe it's just my imagination.

Aart parks his car behind me. The guys and I get out at the same time, but I'm the first one at the door.

"It's been one day," Ty laughs.

I shrug, pressing the doorbell. "And your point is?"

"That you're in love," Santos suggests, giving me a pointed look. "You can't act like this and then say you're not in love." He nudges Aart. "Right, Aart? Back me up on this. Your word is law."

Aart gives me an amused look, but there's also a hint of concern in his eyes. Honestly, I'm a little surprised he hasn't said anything to me all day. He can usually read my—or anyone's—moods like I'm spelling it out for the whole world to hear. But he's kept quiet about it, so I guess he knows I don't want to talk about it with him. And that must mean he thinks it's not that big of a deal, so maybe I'm just blowing things out of proportion.