Chapter 12 - An Off Feeling

Jax

When the doorbell rings, Dad sets down his knife on the cutting board and crosses the kitchen and living room to answer the door. I turn my head to see who it is, but the sunlight streaming through the door blinds me. I have to shut my eyes tight before the dull pain in my head can turn into a sharp one. Once the pain passes and Dad shuts the door, I look over again, and my heart sinks.

No Adeline.

I went through that pain for nothing.

Santos laughs as he sits on the armchair near my head. "Sorry, we're not Adeline."

I furrow my eyebrows. "How do you—?"

"Because you're you," Ty laughs, setting a stack of papers—which I'm guessing is my homework—on the coffee table. "You're always looking for Adeline."

Dad laughs as he walks past us back to the kitchen. "Tell me about it. She's the reason why he's lying on the couch instead of his bed today."

I nod to confirm it for the guys. I know it's Friday, and Adeline helps out at Roses in Ink on weekends, but I was hoping she'd skip today just for me. But, of course, she isn't because she's Adeline. Maybe Mom will let her go early or they'll close early for dinner tonight. I can always hope. But for now, I have to settle with holding onto the hoodie she gave me. I hold it close, taking in the scent of citrus and honeydew. Of Adeline.

My friends ask Dad if he wants any help with cooking dinner for tonight, but when he turns them down, they spread out around the living room—Ty and Santos on the armchairs and Aart sitting on the floor against the couch—and catch me up on what I missed at school. It's a lot of gossip that I don't care too much about, but it's still entertaining to hear. They try to teach me what I missed in the classes we share, but I tune them out for that.

Eventually, the conversation breaks into Ty filming Santos while he goes on some rant. Aart takes the opportunity to lean back against the couch and whisper to me, "I think you should check on Adeline tonight."

I blink, feeling my heart stop. "What do you mean? Did something happen today?"

Aart shrugs. "I don't know. She just seemed really... off... after school."

I prop myself up, looking at Aart. I tighten my grip on Adeline's hoodie. "Off how?"

"Just... off..." That's not helpful. It must show on my face because Aart sighs. "I don't know how to explain it. But I think she needs someone to check in on her. I would've done it, but she said she had to hurry to help your mom out at work."

I nod slowly, laying back on my side. My mind races, and the more I think, the more I feel the blood rushing through my head. "If you had to guess, Faye or Cyril?"

Aart doesn't hesitate whatsoever when he says, "Faye."

In my opinion, either of them is likely, but Aart's intuition is usually right. But... "Why don't you think it's Cyril?"

Aart shifts, so he can look at me better, resting his elbow on his knees. "Cyril's being nice to Adeline right now."

I scoff. "So?"

"So I don't think he'd do anything to bother Adeline. I'm not saying he's not an asshole anymore. I'm just saying Faye's more likely to do something drastic to Adeline right now."

Okay, fair point. Aart gives me a meaningful look and turns away, joining Ty and Santos' conversation. I try to focus on the conversation, too, but my mind keeps drifting to Adeline. It gets to the point that the guys offer to leave to let me rest before dinner tonight. But the front door opens before they can head out. Mom and Adeline walk in.