Chapter 28 - An Attempt to Catch Up

Jax

It feels like I don't see Adeline at all outside of school. I don't see her in the mornings because she wants to drive herself to school now. I don't see her after school because she says she's tired all the time and wants to head straight home. Sometimes she'll join us at the diner, but those days become rarer and rarer. So really I only see her at our family dinners or when she helps out at Roses in Ink.

I tell Evren all this with as little detail as possible, and he—first of all—seems concerned that Adeline's tired all the time and—second of all—says she might need some time to herself and there's nothing inherently wrong with that.

Aart agrees as we walk out of school together. "She's going through a lot right now," he reminds me. "She probably needs some space. Don't take it personally."

"I'm not—" Aart gives me a pointed look, and I stare straight ahead, holding back a sigh. "Fine. I'm taking it personally. But I'm worried about her."

"We all are. But it's Adeline. She'll tell you something if it's really important. If not you, then Mira."

"Or you."

I don't mean for it to come out bitterly, but it might have since Aart narrows his eyes at me. I wave him off as I push the doors open for us. My eyes immediately flicker to the tree we meet under. Adeline, Santos, and Ty are already there. Ty has his camera out, and it looks like Santos is trying to get Adeline to laugh. She gives him amused smiles and eye rolls at most, but it feels so dim. Everything about her feels dim to me these days.

I turn back to Aart. "I don't mean that I don't want her to come to you. I mean she might. And if she does—"

"I'm not telling you what she says if she doesn't want me to," Aart interrupts. "That would be between us. Just like anything you and Adeline talk about is between you two."

I nod, looking down at the ground. Sometimes I really hate it when Aart makes sense. But when he's right, he's right. If Adeline has conversations with other people, she's not obligated to share them with me. And whoever she's talking to isn't obligated to tell me either. And I should trust that Adeline will tell me whatever she needs to. That's the right thing to do... right?

Ugh. Mom... Can't believe she made me doubt myself like this. But if I'm doubting myself this much, maybe it's a good thing that she planted the idea in my head and I'm actually thinking about it a lot.

"What else is bothering you?" Aart asks, studying me.

I let out a breath. I haven't talked to Aart about what doing the right thing looks like. Mira gave me an optimistic-realistic outlook. Adeline gave me an ego boost. Aart is going to make me question myself. Maybe I need it, but again: I hate it when he's right.

I stop walking and turn to him, swallowing what little pride I have left. "What do you think doing the right thing is?"

Aart's eyebrows furrow and his eyes darken. "Do you think you're not doing the right thing?"

I shrug. "I hope I am. I'm trying to do whatever keeps Adeline safe and happy."

He nods slowly. "So this is more about Adeline and not about doing the right thing in general."

I frown. "You make it sound like I don't care about doing the right thing in general."

He rolls his eyes and keeps walking. "Look, I think you always do what you think is right. But sometimes, what you think is right isn't always what is right." And here comes the doubt. Aart must sense it because he puts a hand on my shoulder. "I think you need to trust yourself. Especially with Adeline. You've known her your entire life. You should trust that you know her well enough to do what she needs. And if you don't, then talk to her."