Chapter 2 - Weird Feelings

Adeline

Jax parks the car in front of the diner, and we hop out. When we pull the doors to the diner open, we spot the guys in the booth we claimed over the summer. Ty pulls out his camera and films us walking hand-in-hand. Over the summer, I learned that Ty is really into film and has taken as many film classes as he can throughout high school. He's been trying to get a headstart on his projects by filming anything and everything. Apparently, that includes me and Jax even though we're not doing anything.

Then again, I've seen the things Ty has captured on camera. There are a lot of ways he can artfully film us walking from the sound of our footsteps clacking against the checkered floor to the sight of our reflections moving with us along the reflective red countertop on our right and red tabletops on our left. Not to mention the potted plants sitting on top of the seats rustling as we pass. 

I eye the plants. Jax's parents own a flower shop called Roses in Ink, and they always give flowers and plants to Mira for free whenever she wants to switch them out. They're daffodils today. I'm pretty sure they mean new beginnings.

"There's the happy couple," Ty teases as we slide into the booth. "What took you guys so long?"

"Me," I say. "Slow morning."

"It's always a slow morning for you," Santos laughs, glancing up from his homework.

I shrug. "Yeah, because getting up early isn't my thing."

Santos arches an eyebrow. "Then what is your thing?"

Jax smiles, squeezing my hand. "A lot of things." I arch an eyebrow, indicating for him to go on. "Late nights. Deep talks. Reading." He smirks. "Me."

I roll my eyes, pulling my hand out of his while the guys laugh. "I think I take back what I said about you not being arrogant in the car."

Jax shrugs. "I'm not wrong, though, am I?"

Oh, definitely not, but Jax looks way too smug right now. So instead of answering, I point between myself and the kitchen door. "I think Mira's calling me."

I slide out of the booth before Jax can pull me into him. I hear them laugh behind me, but I don't turn around. If I do, they'll see the smile on my face, so I walk behind the counter and into the kitchen. When Mira sees me, she smiles and comes over to give me a hug. She owns the diner, and since she's known me and Jax for basically our entire lives, she lets us come in and out of the kitchen whenever we want to as long as we don't touch anything besides the dishes if we feel like helping.

"I was just coming out with your breakfast," she says, pulling away from me.

"And I was just coming in to escape awkward questioning from the guys," I say with a tilt of my head.

She laughs, handing me a plate of pancakes and sausages with a fork. "What are they asking you?"

"I said getting up early isn't my thing, and then Jax said he's my thing."

"I mean..." Mira gives me a teasing smile. "Is he wrong?"

I smile down at my plate. "No. He's not."

She laughs. "Still not used to the whole boyfriend thing?"

I shake my head, eating some of my breakfast. When I swallow, I say, "It's weird. I know I like Jax, and I know he likes me. It's not awkward. It's just weird."

"Weird how?"

"Weird like..." I glance up and off to the side, feeling a weight settle on my chest for the second time this morning. "Like I'm not used to a relationship where the other person cares and respects me as much as I care and respect them." Mira's expression goes still. I let out a nervous laugh, shaking my head. "I know it's sad. You don't have to tell me it is. But it's true."