Chapter 22 - A Fair Warning

Adeline

When I wake up on Monday, I have to force myself out of bed. I move in and out of feeling numb and wanting to throw up. I prefer the numb moments, especially when the dread and nausea hit me like a bus every single time. But when I come downstairs, I manage a smile and even joke with my parents. Jax goes along with it, but I know he's worried. It's obvious when I see the bouquet he gets me. It's filled with begonias dotted with calla lilies and zinnias like he wants me to know that even if I'm feeling upset, I'll be okay one day and he'll always be here to make sure of it. Just like he said Homecoming night.

I appreciate the flowers, and I believe him like I always do, but other thoughts slip into my head if I'm not careful. I don't want to think it's obvious, but it probably is since the guys and Mira are just as cautious around me at the diner. They don't say anything about Homecoming, but I know they're thinking about it. Or maybe that really is just me. Because if I'm not focused on anything specific, I can feel Dean pressed against me and smell the alcohol on his breath. So I hyperfocus on anything and everything, picking out little details on the floor, the table, the sky, the ground, anything really.

"Adeline," Jax says gently, parking the car in the school parking lot. "Do you want me to take you home?"

I turn to him, unbuckling my seatbelt. "No. Why?"

"You're really spacey. More than usual."

I shrug. "I'll be okay." I have to be. "But thanks."

He nods, resting an elbow on the center console. "Tell me if you want to go home any time today, and I'll take you home."

"But you still have classes."

He arches an eyebrow. "Yeah, and?"

I laugh, making him smile. "You're really stupid sometimes."

"But you don't hate it."

I kiss him, holding his face in my hands. "No. I really don't."

I find it hard to get out of the car. I'd rather sit here and be with Jax than go to school. I want to do that every day, but I especially don't feel like doing anything today. So maybe I should let Jax take me home. But the world doesn't stop just because I'm...

Tarnished sounds too nice. I feel like I'm beyond tarnished at this point. I don't even think I deserve to be called silver anymore.

But even if I'm not silver, I have to move with the world. So I get out of the car with Jax and I try to go about my day. It helps that the guys walk me to and from my classes now. They don't tell me if they have a schedule or anything. All I know is I should somehow expect one of them outside the door every time class is dismissed. Then they stick by my side until I'm at my next class even if it means they have to sprint across the school to make it to their classes on time.

Ty's outside the door after my third period. He smiles, his camera already out and recording. He walks backward, filming me as I head to my locker.

"How's my favorite girl in the world doing?" he asks.

I arch an eyebrow. "What about your mom?"

He blinks. "How's my second favorite girl in the world doing?"

I laugh, running a hand through my hair. "I'm okay."

"You sure? You look really tired. You know Jax or Aart will drive you home if you ask, right?"

I nod. "I know. But..." I shrug, letting my arms swing out to the side. "The world doesn't stop just because I'm tired."

Ty frowns. "Maybe not, but that doesn't mean you can't stop." He smirks. "Or that Jax won't try to make the world stop for you. Considering he's your gold and you're his silver."