Chapter 32 - Breaking a Promise

Jax

I need to punch something. Preferably a person. And preferably Dean or Faye.

I don't know if Adeline told the guys about how she made me promise not to get in a fight, but when I walk with them in the halls, they ask me if I know how Adeline is doing and whether I'm gonna kill some assholes for it.

I slam my locker shut. "I told you, Aart. I can't do anything. I already promised Adeline I wouldn't."

He arches an eyebrow, his arms crossed over his chest. "So you're really not going to do anything? You're just going to let this slide?"

I grit my teeth. "You think I want to?"

Aart gives me a pointed look. "No. Of course, I don't think you want to. I'm asking if you have another plan in mind. Just because you can't get in a fight doesn't mean you can't do something else."

"Like what?"

He shrugs. "I don't know, but there has to be something you can do and not get in a fight because of it."

I let out a breath, staring at my locker. "Well, let me know if you think of something."

Aart nods. "For now, I think all you can do is make sure Adeline's okay."

I take a deep breath before turning my head to look at Aart. "I told Adeline that I'm in love with her."

His eyes widen and he straightens. "Really?" I nod. "Did she say it back?"

I shake my head. "No. And I don't expect her to. But I am in love with her—"

"I could've told you that a long time ago."

"—and I care about her more than anything else in the world. But if I can't protect her, then does it even matter?"

Aart nods. "Of course, it matters. Don't be stupid. Even if you can't think of a way to protect her in a way that doesn't upset her or get you hurt, at least she knows for sure you're there for her. It probably means a lot to her, especially considering what she went through by herself the last three years."

Just thinking about it makes me want to punch a hole in the wall. Or better yet, Dean's face. Maybe even Faye's. I don't want to be the type of guy that wants to hit a girl—or anyone really—but I don't tolerate anyone hurting Adeline. And that's all Dean and Faye have been doing since the moment they met her. But instead of confronting them head-on, I grit my teeth and run a hand down my face.

I let my hand drop and curl it into a fist at my side. "I don't know what to do, Aart."

He puts a hand on my shoulder. "You'll think of something. And even if you don't, people will get over it and move on to something new."

I glare at him. "Even if they move on to something new, that doesn't change the fact that Adeline felt worthless this morning after talking to Faye."

Aart starts to respond, but his eyes flicker past me and he scowls right as someone says, "Isn't that on Adeline for being a whore?"

My head snaps to my other side. Dean smirks at me. I face him, and Aart doubles his pressure on my shoulder, pulling me back. He hisses something to me about how Adeline asked me to not get in a fight over this. I hear it loud and clear, but I can't make myself relax. Not when this asshole is standing in front of me looking smug.

"So how was it?" Dean asks, crossing his arms over his chest. Perfect timing to punch him when his hands are trapped, but I can't. Damn it, Adeline... "Still don't see why you would ever want to sleep with someone that looks like her, but I bet she felt good, right? Probably not as good as Faye—"