thirteen

TW/ light smut

falling for me

I tossed and turned on my bed knowing it would be another sleepless night. I thought I would feel better after I told John B but I just felt empty.

I felt like a second choice. A placeholder until the real thing came along. Again. But I knew it was the plan all along so why did it bother me?

I laid in the silence, wishing I would see the soft glow of a light under the door or hear the soft noise of the sink running. I was tired of being alone. I was tired of my parents treating me like I didn't exist. As soon as I was old enough my parents left me home alone. They counted on the Cameron's to keep on eye on me and that's one of the reasons I basically lived there.

I was tired of being abandoned by everyone in my life. My parents didn't want me around and now I lost the two people that had always been around. Topper and I might've been always hated each other but at least he was around. Now Rafe was mad at me and Topper would rather have Sarah than me and I had no one.

I stood in front of the fridge and scanned the contents for something to drown my feelings with. I frowned at the lack of junk food and settled for some watermelon. Just as I was about to sit down a soft knock on the door caught my attention. I felt my whole body tense at the sound.

Could it be Topper? Rafe?

I tiptoed to the door and looked through the peephole. It was John B.

I unlocked the door and opened it just a crack, "Hey. What's going on?"

John B held out a grocery bag with two pints of ice cream inside, "Can I come in?"

I stepped aside and gestured for him to come in. I locked the door and lead him to the living room before taking a seat across from him on the couch.

John B tossed me a peanut butter cup ice cream and a plastic spoon, "Sarah told me that it was a mistake. That she wants me. She said she'd let go of Topper, that it took that night for her to realize that she doesn't love him."

I took a bite of my ice cream, "She looked really happy to me."

John B dug around his ice cream with his spoon, "I don't know what to do."

"I don't know how to help you."

John B stared at me, "What are you gonna do?"

I stared down into my lap, "I don't have to do anything. He obviously doesn't want me."

"Sarah said he regretted everything. He wouldn't stop talking about you and how much he wished it hadn't happened."

"It doesn't change that it happened," my words were laced with a sigh.

John B gave me a weak smile, "But everyone makes mistakes."

I reached forward and grabbed his hand, "If you believe her and trust her, you should follow your heart."

John B squeezed my hand, "You're right. You should take your own advice."

I leaned back against the couch and rolled my eyes, "You're the one asking me for advice you can't give me advice."

"I'm being a little selfish. If you have him then Sarah can't."