Ghosts and Demons Afoot

Almost before the audience was settled in, Father Arlen was starting.

"Thank you for your continued time, everyone, I assure you, this will not last much longer," he announced. Taking a steadying breath, he turned to Mabel. "I'll admit, young lady, I was skeptical at first, but your testimony has proved without a doubt that you are who you say you are."

Mabel gave Norman a big thumbs up.

"However, even though you have proven yourself this boy's friend, you have not proven yourself one of ours," Father Arlen continued. There was a strange glint in his eye. He had a plan. This time, he addressed the crowd. "We have seen it before. A demonic possession! Don't let this girl trick you because she looks cute, the demons have learned from their past failures! Now, they intend to try and trick us to garner our sympathy. Don't let her trick you!"

"I'm not a demon!" Mabel shouted. "Just a ghost! I'm just helping Norman."

"Oh, are you?" Father Arlen asked. "Then why don't you prove it?"

"I will!" Mabel cried defiantly, before frowning. "Uh..."

Kris sighed. They didn't really have a plan for when they got up here, so they'd have to wait for this trial to finish, or something. They had an idea. All Mabel had to do was raise her hands... she did so, and then the ghost could do... something ghost-like.

Perfectly on cue, things suddenly started being raised up around the room. A flower pot at the back, before it was put down, a ladies hat, then it was put down again, and finally a small childly, which after the ghost was done was gently put down again. Kris frowned, squinting hard. If they looked closely, they though they saw the thin outline of a boy in a strange hat. Finn?

The outline waved. Hm.

Mabel grinned triumphantly, her hands on her hips like she'd just won the case. Kris was feeling pretty confident as well, at least until they both looked out into the audience.

With Mabel's little performance, the general air in the church had shifted. Faces that looked upon the little spectacle with excitement had turned white as a sheet. Some audience members had hunkered down, shaking with terror. Some, near the back, even looked ready to bolt.

Mabel and Norman exchanged bewildered glances.

"What is it?" Mabel called out, confused. "What's wrong?"

Father Arlen looked entirely too smug before he fixed his face. "Don't mind it now, young lady. Now, everyone, I think we, finally, have presented all the evidence. Are there any objections?"

Mabel, for once, kept quiet, though it was clear that she didn't really want to. She still seemed taken aback from the earlier reaction to her show.

"Perfect," Father Arlen said, all business. "Now, all who consider this boy, and, in extension, this demon, guilty, can rise."

To Kris, Mabel, and Norman's shook, the whole room rose, before Father Arlen waved them back down again.

"Ah, nearly unanimously, I see," Father Arlen said calmly. "I suppose we can skip who seems them as 'innocent', then. Now-."

"What?!" Mabel cried, stepping forward. "Guilty? How?! We proved it-!"

"Young lady, WHOEVER you are, please sit down!" Father Arlen snapped, before composing himself. "You've had your say, and we're quite done with that."

"But-?"

"Be. Quiet." Father Arlen hissed.

"He's innocent!" Mabel yelled back. "I know he-!"