Friendly Negotiations

"Kipo!"

Kipo jumped as her name suddenly echoed throughout the trees around her. She faltered, nearly slipping and falling face first in the snow before she rightened herself.

"What the..." she muttered to herself, before turning around. "What? Mabel?! Is that you? What's wrong?"

"Nothing!" Luz called out, but Kipo still hurried towards them, bounding down the slope to their voices.

"We got the guy!" Tulip called out in explanation, and Kipo frowned, wondering what she meant just as the six of them came into view. Kipo quickly looked over all of them, checking for injuries, before her eyes settled on the shape they were dragging between them. Kipo suddenly stopped.

Kai shrugged. "It's... Father Arlen," he told her, not needing to shouted anymore. Kipo peered around them, and saw that he was telling the truth. That... really was Father Arlen. Not moving.

"Um, is he-?" Kipo started, just as soon as Coraline answered: "He's fine. Probably. Just knocked out."

Kipo raised an eyebrow, still concerned as she moved closer. "I... how did this happen."

"Good question," Tulip muttered.

"At least we got him," Luz pointed out.

"Technically, it was easier this way," Coraline argued, still sounding amused.

"Um..." Kai spoke up, sounding. Kipo looked over to see him kneeling by Father Arlen, poking at him. "What do we do now?"

Kipo groaned, trying not to let too much of her frustration show in her voice. It wasn't supposed to go like this...

"It's... fine," Kipo said, keeping her voice calm. "It's fine. We just need to... we continue with the plan, after he get's up. Here, give him to me, so he's not dragging on the floor, when we carry him."

Mabel gave her an odd look, but she didn't say anything as Luz and Fei Fei scooped up, Father Arlen, dropping him off on Kipo's shoulders, fireman style. Kipo grunted, her shoes slipping on the snow as she fought for purchase.

Mabel bounded ahead. "I'll lead!"

Kipo nodded at that, not trusting herself to speak, and the group started forward again, much slower than before. Kipo trained her ears upward, towards Father Arlen, but his breathing stayed steady, other than the slightest hitch here and there. Whatever Mabel did was... certainly effective.

"Here it is!" Mabel cried out, and she ducked into the familiar cave, the same one she had came out of when she was last here. The others gave it a once over, but they didn't hesitate as they stepped in after her, disappearing in its maw. Kipo was grateful they moved quickly, because, a little desperately, she scrambled in after them, relieved to have solid ground under her feet again. The little tunnel was cramped, with abandoned mining tools on either side, so Kipo had to watch her step, carefully concentrating on where she put her foot and making sure she didn't hit the pastor on either of the walls.

"Do you want a break?" Luz asked her, but Kipo shook her head.

"Better to keep moving," she said. "We don't know when he'll wake up."

"Oh, right," Luz agreed, glancing back. Suddenly, her eyes widened. "Uh, Kipo-?"

All of the sudden, Kipo was thrown to the ground when the body in front of her exploded with movement. Her head hit the rock floor and rang painfully. Everyone was moving above her, and Kipo cried out as her hand was stepped on, pain exploding through her arm as she drew it back. There was a lot of yelling above her, and it all echoed around the walls and in her head.