Year One: Number Eleven

It was awfully cold on the first day of March, 1972, but that couldn't stop Daisy Evans prancing down the steps to her little living room, quite snug for the family of five, well — four of them for now — to grin in the sight of the pink birthday banner hanging on the wall.

    "There she is!"

    The young girl turned and saw her father enter, who was wearing a pointed pink paper made hat with a string under his clean shaven chin, and his special green checked shirt that he wore only for occasions such as birthdays or dinners, which weren't very often, they were for treats.

    Before she passed, Daisy's aunt — her fathers sister — used to always go on about how she was her fathers double, a mini him, however much Daisy insisted it was not true. They may have shared the same high bridged nose and downward red smile, soft dimples, and maybe the same small ears... and their big blue eyes... but they weren't as identical as she said. Daisy was obviously prettier, and had the difference of freckles from her mother.

    Mr Evans wrapped his strong arms around Daisy for a hug that was more of a tight yet affectionate squeeze. It just made loving more fun.

"Happy birthday my love." He pecked her forehead.

    Her father was like stars on a dark night, shining down on the lost ones guiding them back home and chasing away the monsters that lurk in the shadows. He was always willing to check in her cupboard for werewolves or ghouls, and he was the one she looked to if she just needed to smile. He cracked stupid jokes about farts, and had the worst habit of doing it during meals to her mothers distaste. But she had no idea Daisy could see her holding back a laugh.

Mrs Evans was gentle and kind. Her hands strong from kneading dough and soft from her hand cream. Kisses on the cheek, warm blankets, and apple pie were what made her. Her stories took you to other universes where you could be queen of the world, have your own spaceship and explore the galaxy whenever you pleased, or spook you into not sleeping on Halloween night.

    When Mrs Evans joined them she was carrying a hot plate of fresh toast from the loaf she had made just yesterday. Smothered in butter and waiting to be taken a bite of.

    The eldest sister, Petunia, she had been in the room at her sisters arrival but had not payed much attention to the birthday girl. Instead of celebrating, she had her head stuck in a magazine made for 'Teens in 72'!' Which included girls in colourful striped tops and long, wide jeans with huge buckled belts, and boys in shirts half unbuttoned paired with heavy black boots. Daisy also noticed Petunia had her blonde hair styled just like the girl on the front page, big and wavy, probably used rollers over night and a whole can of hairspray. She looked more like her mother than her father. Same hair, same pointed nose, everything was spot on! You'd think her mother gave birth to a clone!

    Daisy was eleven today. Though her other older sister, Lily, would not be here to wish her a merry day in person as she was in the coolest boarding school Daisy had ever heard of.

    Hogwarts. Her sister Lily was a witch. Though it was a secret to everyone else apart from those in this house. She was away to learn magic and would come home to tell Daisy all about it. Read to her from her textbooks and play, pretending that Daisy could conjure any wish or command Lily asked of her, as if she were a witch too. Daisy hoped it was real every time. If it was, she'd get to stay with Lily at her school, and of course do her own spells. A girl can only dream sometimes, but today, there was a little spark of hope in the small body of Daisy Evans.

    As she opened her few presents, Daisy awed at the lovely yellow sewn dress that she had pulled from a small box.

    "The charity shop had it on sale, isn't it pretty?" Mrs Evans looked hopeful. The Evans family didn't have a lot of money. Ends met, but any extra pounds that were left was saved for birthdays and Christmas time. Mrs Evans worried day in and day out on whether or not she was succeeding as a mother, wanting to give her children everything in the world, but having so little.

    "It's beautiful." Admiring the white daisy embroidery around the collar and lace at the end of the shouldered sleeved. Daisy would wear it everywhere she could. Maybe to a little dance, like the ones Petunia goes to with her friends. She'd just have to find a friend to go with...

    Another thing that Daisy would love about Hogwarts would be the new life. She can't bring herself to lie about her social popularity, she's simply not to be thought of twice in her class... maybe not even once. She'd joined in a few games during break time, but only if she'd asked, and was always sat in the same chair at lunch with her ham sandwich and milk carton, the chair next to her cold and lonely. It may seem a little sad but at least she was succeeding in her tests. A after A after A, she thought all her time spent alone had benefited her studies, so to that, she didn't complain much.

    Mrs Evans couldn't hold her excitement any more and had decided to allow Daisy a peek at her birthday cake earlier than planned. It was small, homemade by her mother who bakes more than she sells. Though what doesn't make it off the shelf, goes straight home and into the bellies of her family. Her custard tarts aren't the most popular in her bakery, but the Evans house throw celebrations when she returns with a few left over from work. The candles that read number eleven sparkled on top of hot pink fondant, and two small daisies made of icing made the cake look huge. Though unfortunately, Daisy was not allowed to have any before my dinner, it shall be kept in the kitchen cupboard until then. Even with Mr Evans pleading, Daisy's mother would not give in, and locked it away back in its box. How Daisy was to sit around all day and not even have a bite? She had no idea.

    As breakfast was finishing, the letterbox rattled as the postman made his way around the street, and Mr Evans returned with the few letters while the girls sat watching the morning cartoons which consisted of The Flintstones, The Pink Panther Show, and Scooby Doo. This was a treat, as normally the family would have the news on until twelve and then the tv would be turned off to save a little money. Today Mr and Mrs Evans had kindly handed Daisy that time slot.

    "Bank..." Mr Evans muttered and tossed the letter to the side. "Oh! One for Miss Daisy Evans."

    Daisy looked from her comfortable spot at the floor of the chair Petunia rested upon, and took the brown envelope from her father. As she opened it, there was a card with a fairy that had spelt 'happy birthday' with her wand in gold sparkles, and inside, the lovely and delicate hand writing of her older sister created a lump in her throat.

    'Dear Daisy,
     Happy birthday to a special little fairy! I will see you soon and will arrive back with a gift!
    Love, Lily'

    And a large heart printed at the bottom of the page. How lovely it was to know that her sister still hadn't forgotten her, no matter how simple. Daisy always assumed Lily's magic business would take up too much of her time to think about home, but clearly not.

    Lily had always had a soft heart. She was cheery when she wasn't arguing with Petunia, which was when Petunia was at her dances. Daisy enjoyed those chill times with Lily where they'd challenge one another at scrabble or a good game of snap. The memories of this had her longing even more to join Lily in her magic boarding school.

    "This... is for you too... Daisy." Mrs Evans held out a shaky hand, another envelop between her fingers. Mr Evans clasped his hands on top of his red hair and emitted a weak high pitched laugh as he smiled at the roof.
    So Daisy took it, and what it said inside made the toast in her mouth fall onto her lap.

    "Hogwarts?!"

RA/N:: Welcome/welcome back to my first chapter of Daisy!! This chapter is the first to be rewritten and not the last!