Year One: To Fly

When Daisy read on her timetable that she was to be attending flying lessons this afternoon, she could have burst with excitement. Her, Daisy Evans, flying in the air on a broom! She wondered how her mother and father would feel about her being fifty feet in the air on nothing but a broom they would use to sweep the stairs.

    Racing down her dormitory tower stairs, Daisy landed in the common to see that it was empty, she was rather early, only the birds outside were awake too, and Mary's cat who had curled up on a red footstool having drifted off with the sun glowing on his back. Flying lessons weren't until the end of the day, three o'clock to be exact, but Daisy was more awake than ever and couldn't wait to go down to breakfast, but there's no way she'd be going herself, she didn't want to sit alone, so she decided to wait for someone else to come down.

    Alice, the shortest of the second year girls skipped down the steps wearing her neatly ironed uniform, and her bobbed hair rolled inwards with a pink hairband behind her fringe.

    "Oh good morning Daisy! Coming to breakfast?" Alice smiled and waved her hand for Daisy to follow.

    "What do you have today?"

    "Flying lessons! They're after classes end. Did you do flying lessons?"

    "Oh yeah, hated it. I really don't like heights, I like my feet on the ground. Others liked it though. Lily was good at it."

    "Oh really?" That was a surprise. However much Lily may like her school, Daisy had never heard about flying brooms. Not much of anything really.

An abrupt crash made Daisy jump, it came from the bottom of the corridor...but Alice laughed. "That would be Peeves."

"Who?" Daisy asked.

On cue, a translucent jester with a funny crown with bells ringing on its points, exited a room cackling madly, a chair hung dead from his hand.

"Filchies not going to like what Peevsies done." It giggled, somersaulting in the air before launching the chair backwards, like a bride with her bouquet.

A student just managed to duck to avoid a concussion. Then the man simply bolted through the opposing wall. Just like Daisy at the train station!

"You won't see him a lot, he's always up to something."

Walking I got the great hall now, Daisy asked, "why's he still here?"

"That's the thing with peeves, he's basically an owner. He's been here ever since Hogwarts was built. It's more his home than even Dumbledore's."

    We live in a ghosts home...

"Oh! And if you ever run into him and he asks what you're up to. Say you're up to no good. Then he won't bother you. Learnt that from James Potter."

    "Heard you've got flying lessons today?" Once the hall was full Sirius began to speak to Bao.

    "Make sure you get a good broom. The best ones are the ones that are polished, well trimmed and no splinters. So keep that in mind if you want to fly good!"

    "I don't see why it matters, aren't they all the same?" Lily turned to Sirius who gasped, along with James who overheard.

    "No they're not the same Lillith." Sirius snapped leaning his head towards the girl who rolled her eyes.

    "You wouldn't drive a car with a flat tire would you?" James added on, and Daisy could clearly see that he was rather pleased with himself for some reason.