Year One: Halloween

Daisy Evans was lounging in her bed. Flat on her stomach, one hand holding her head, and the other flipping through the pages of Magical Miracles. By Louisa Lewis.

What she really loved about this book the most was the cover.

It was silver, with sequin stripes in a lighter shade that glittered when tilting it in the light. She could sit and do that for hours. And there was a white unicorn on all fours looking out into the distance in a meadow. She loved that unicorn.

    Unicorns would live in her mind throughout her childhood. Her mother's bedtime stories about the unicorns comforting little lost children who had ran too deep into the woods or healing the sick elderly who had years left see.

    They really were magical creatures.

    Daisy had just finished skimming about cyclops, something she didn't care very much for, they were just giants with one eye, when she landed on werewolves.

The name alone made her shiver.

There was a black and white picture of a filthy beast with a slim torso and large head, great long canines and tough scruffy fur. Yet, the dog was huge, subtext below the image read 'approx 6ft'

It's terrible how a person can turn into that...

    'A werewolf is unable to choose whether or not they transform and will no longer remember who they are once the full moon has risen. A werewolf is capable of killing even their own mother and father if given the opportunity when transformed. Despite this, their memory is regained  upon reverting to their human form and gaining consciousness once more.'
Their own parents...

'Without any humans nearby to attack, or other animals to occupy it, the werewolf will attack itself out of frustration. This leaves many werewolves with self-inflicted scars.

Werewolves can be easily distinguished from regular wolves by their shorter snout, more human-like eyes, the tufted tail, and their mindless hunting of humans whilst in wolf form. On regular days, the human will appear as normal, although they may age prematurely, and may present as if they are sickly. It's common for werewolves so become agitated as the full moon grows-

"Boo!" Bao jumped into girls dormitory, and Daisy slammed her book shut.

"Happy Halloween!" Bao cheered triumphantly, throwing sweets into the air, and Daisy use her book to cover her head.

Halloween, it wasn't Daisy favourite holiday for sure, but she's always loved dressing up to go trick or treating with her sisters in her neighbourhood.

However, she'd always favour Christmas over Halloween. Christmas brought her family together, and she received gifts. If she was lucky, it would snow on Christmas day, which added to the cosy and warm feeling she felt inside her home. While the fire roasted, herself and her older sisters would bring blankets and large pillows downstairs to watch Christmas films while their parents prepared Christmas dinner. Drinking hot chocolate and eating cookies.

The feeling of waking up in her warm and cosy house with a stomach full of butterflies would never be beaten. Daisy would run downstairs as soon as she could to meet her family to open their gifts, then they'd all spend the entire day with one another.

Daisy could only hope Christmas would be the same this year, because last year didn't feel right.

Petunia, the oldest of the Evans', distanced herself from her sisters. She was present, but... not involved. Christmas felt rather empty without Petunia's jokes or laughter, Daisy never realised how much she loved it until it was gone.