Year One: The Dark Lord

Eight muggles have been murdered using dark magic at a shopping centre in Muggle London.

All students sat frozen in their seats as the countless Wizard Times papers were passed around. Some began to cry, some sat with slack jaws, some without any emotion at all, guarding them.

It was early in the morning and everyone was ready for classes to start after breakfast. Daisy's lips parted on their own, she bit her tongue to test if she were in a dream.

She was not.

Muggles had been murdered... a mass murder.

Her hands trembled as she just could not bring herself to read any more of this horrible journalism. This was the first time Daisy had ever heard of one of these attacks before, and it frightened her little mind to come to learn about the dark sides of being able to use magic. It wasn't all bouncy castles, ice skating, and incredible fireworks after all.

Eight innocent people... are dead. Murdered.

"Oh god..."

"Hey." A warm whisper came from beside Daisy, and she slightly turned around to see Lily inches from her face. As Lily spoke softly, she took Daisy's hand and squeezed it tight. Daisy felt safe. If Lily was with her, she'd always feel that way.

"We'll be alright." And gave a comforting smile to her younger sister who's heart was in her throat.

Daisy couldn't respond. She was afraid that if she tried she'd either burst into tears or vomit from fear.

Turning away, her eyes scanned the crowd naturally and for a split second caught Regulus staring down at his hands.

Classes had been cancelled for the day, breakfast ran on forever as no one seemed to be able to stomach anything, it was open until lunchtime, and lunchtime open until dinner time, and after that, the hall was open for frightened students to mingle and chat with teachers or children from different houses.

The second year Gryffindor boys were quiet too. No jokes, no laughing, no smiling. They were like zombies. The entirety of Gryffindor tower was.

"We will stay strong! We will learn and we will get through this, together, as a team, alright?"

Bilius Weasley stood at the front of the crowd, every student from Gryffindor was huddled in the common room, listening silently.

"We're safe here. I promise. Professor McGonagall will make sure of it, as she has incredibly done since she started working here — so a long time." His short comment managed to crack a few smiles.

Daisy could feel the atmosphere of the tower calm, they were being comforted, Bilius was right, they were safe in here amongst professors and friends.

"And- and if anyone, would like someone to talk to, my dormitory and Bilius' dormitory will be open, and if we are not in the tower we will be in the Great Hall." Eleanor announced quickly before the students scattered, she had stood waiting by the side of the fire for Bilius to finish.

"Luckily for us classes are cancelled so please rest. Gather your thoughts and emotions, let them out, we have all day." Bilius finished and the quidditch captain, Aaron, who was looking very tired approached the prefect and swung an arm around his shoulder.

Daisy heard him say, "well done mate." As the crowd broke apart.

It was earlier in the afternoon that the atmosphere thickened once again and the windows had been cracked open to let some of the heat out. Many students were red faced from sobbing, some hadn't left their dorms all day, and some refused to sit still and were out on the grounds.