Year One: The Stars

"Y'know Sandy, sometimes I think I'm dreaming." From the top of the owelry, Daisy was sitting on a small chair with Sandy swinging on a light beige perch, staring out at the clear darkening sky above the castle grounds, wondering how she was here. Why she was here.

This would mark the first time Sandy had been allowed in the owelry. After her freaking out and attacking spells calmed, Daisy was confident in letting her stay here with other owls she could befriend.

"I just don't get it." She talked aloud, not bothering if her owl didn't understand, it was nice to talk to at least something.

Since she had started Hogwarts, Daisy had learnt to unlearn. She was a witch now, not a muggle, and she had to act like she belonged in the castle. Professor Flitwick would show her the spells that five year old magic born children already knew of, meanwhile Daisy was listening to stories about magic fairies, wishing it were all true.

Now she was here. Feeling lost but feeling more whole that she's ever felt before.

Maybe she was dreaming. Being alone for so long could make someone lose their mind. Perhaps Daisy's mind was elsewhere. Everything did seem a bit animated sometimes.

That was until a peck on the shoulder had her staring into the wide eyes of her barn owl. "I have a pet owl..."

She had laughed in disbelief.

"And my teachers a werewolf... Professor McGonagall can turn into a cat... and there's a humong- giant squid in the lake... maybe this is some kind of story book."

Sandy hooted back, and gave Daisy an affectionate headbutt.

"Thanks." She giggled, and allowed Sandy to nibble a treat from her palm.

Astronomy class was last period, and Professor Sinistra had urged the children to meet at the top of the tower at 9 o'clock sharp, as she had something exciting to show them.

It wasn't told what, only that the children may find it very interesting.

After leaving Sandy, that's where Daisy decided to go. It was late enough anyways.

It had been a week since the mirror and the attack, herself and her two Gryffindor friends had eased into going to their own places without the urge to drag along another.

She bet the other Gryffindors were already there, seeing as she had spent plenty of time here in the owelry, surrounded by bird droppings to know that nobody would be waiting around in the tower.

On her travels through the castle, rubbing her sleepy eyes, Daisy smiled to herself thinking about the mirror.

It's really all she's ever wanted since aged six when Petunia swapped seats with her at the dinner table so she didn't have to look at Lily while eating anymore.

Her older sister had said Lily put her appetite off.

That was the first wedge that Daisy had sensed come between Lily and Petunia. The wedge was the colour black. Not completely visible, but Daisy had saw it. It was all around the dinner table while her parents disciplined Petunia, then Lily for biting back.

All while Daisy sat and had to watch.

But the wolf in the mirror made her wonder. What the true intentions of the glass were. Was it just like a wishing well? She wouldn't lie and say she didn't think about wanting to see the wolf in person... then just as she thought of her father, there he was.