Year One: The Whomping Willow

On this Saturday afternoon, the sun was emitting golden rays through the Gryffindor common room that coated three young girls who lounged near one of the high windows of the tower.

Seeing as they had no classes today, Daisy had dressed in a comfortably to beat herself on this chilly day. Despite the warm rays of sun, the tower was becoming increasingly colder day by day as winter was on its way.

Daisy had her back pressed up against the red wall of the common room, listening to Bao attempting to beat Heather at Gobstones. So far, Heather was winning by 5 to 0.

Closing her eyes, Daisy tilted her head backwards to rest upon the wall, and allowed her mind to wander while her friends voices became nothing but distant background music. All sorts of images from Hogwarts swarmed her mind as she daydreamed about the castle. The adrenaline filled quidditch pitch, the beautiful herbology greenhouse, the rowdy Gryffindor courtyard. Then, one image flashed in her mind that interrupted her adventures of Hogwarts, one that sent a cold shiver down her spine.

She recognised that it was from the dream- more of a nightmare- that she had on Halloween night.

There was water, deep, deep water. It was pulling her downwards as if there were an anchor tied to her ankle. It was almost pitch black down there, other than the little ring of light from the surface that allowed her to see the mangled corpse of a woman in front of her face. Her hair was wispy like smoke and her eyes were lighting a fire in her soul. The water was just as icy as she remembered it, piercing her skin like daggers. The last thing she saw in the dream was an arm reaching up to the surface, and that was it until she woke up.

What a strange nightmare, never before had anything like that intruded her sleep before. Her nightmares would usually consist of the boogey man, werewolves, or scary ghosts in her house. This dream however, felt so real. She could feel the weight of water burning her lungs as she screamed for the surface to pull her up, she heard the screeches of other beings just like the corpse woman waiting to grab her, and she could see no longer see the light.

She blamed James Potter for this, his Halloween story must have dug itself into her brain and latched on, waiting patiently for her to fall asleep to take action on her vulnerable mind.

Shaking away the images and opening her eyes once again, Daisy picked up the a little book she found in Lily's dorm — The Famous Five on a Treasure Island — which helped remind her that there's more than the magic world, and think about the muggles waiting for her at home. Where her family was. That book was her anchor until she finished and grabbed the next one. There was no time for missing loved ones back home with all this running around at Hogwarts.

Everyday she wondered what her family were doing, surely they missed her, of course they did. She missed them too, even Petunia who wouldn't return any of her letters. She couldn't wait for Christmas to come around so she could finally see their faces and feel the warm embrace of her parents once again. She could almost feel her father's strong comforting arms around her, and she slightly wished that he were here right now. She missed him reading her stories at night before she were to fall asleep. The purpose was to help lul her exhaustingly energetic mind, but somehow always ended up with a pillow or tickle fight, defeating the aim entirely. She was her fathers daughter without a doubt.

"Ahh! That one was the worst!" Bao had gagged loudly, bringing Daisy back into the reality that she was in now. There she laughed at her unfortunate friend who was grabbing a handful of tissues to wipe her face from a disgusting liquid.