Year One: What's Quidditch?

Very recently, after the pantsing of Bartemius passed and wasn't funny anymore, the first year boys had been raving about quidditch. Which was some kind of wizard sport.

    Benjamin was up early and already running to the large stadium located on the castle grounds. Surprisingly Daisy hadn't seen it before. It was basically in plain sight.

It was highly decorated. Tapestries full of colour followed her all the way up the long stairs to the large opening of the pitch. There could have been millions of seats in here. All in their sections there was blue chairs, red, yellow, and green.

    Their seats were across from the green.

She'd been in a football stadium before, but this felt... weird. For one she was very high up. Way too high to see the bottom of the pitch. Though it began to make a little more sense seeing the tall rings standing at either end. Rather than goalposts on the ground.

    "What are those rings for?" She asked Benjamin who was sitting right at the front, almost hanging off the edge.

    "That's where they throw the quaffle to score points."

"The what?" It sounded like Benjamin had something stuck in his throat.

    "Oh yeah you don't know quidditch do you... we'll it's pretty straight forward. The players fly and pass the quaffle and try to score into one of those rings. And the seeker tries to find the snitch, and the beaters hit one another with the bludger!"

    "How do they fly?!" Daisy asked bewildered.

"Brooms of course!" Her jaw dropped. It was true! Witches did ride on brooms! And it seems that wizards do too!

    "Oh the players are here! It's trials today!" Benjamin's eyes turned away and for the rest of the time stuck to the pitch.

There were quite a few bodies down there, and she wondered how many would make up a team. A large student with broad shoulders and crimson robes stood in front of them. Even from so far away she could tell he was good looking. Strands of gold fell to his shoulder in waves, his chest stretched his kit outwards, and his jaw was a clean cut.

"Hey that's my brother! He's the captain!" Heather pointed down and Daisy shook herself out of her staring, turning a bright red.

Not only were the students on the pitch now, but a few gryffindors joined them in the seats. Lily, Mary, Alice, Remus, and Peter.

"Do you like quidditch Lily?" Her older sister sat a row behind.

"No not really. I'm here to cheer on Marlene. She's trying out for the beater."

"She's been training all summer." Said Heather.

"Do you like quidditch Mary?"

Mary however replied, "I'm just here for fun, don't care much about quidditch. Rugby however, that's where it's at. Those big rugby boys in their shorts" Daisy turned back around. Mary added, "On the other hand... I don't mind watching Sirius Black for an hour." All the second year girls broke into giggles.

Speaking of the boys, James Potter flew past them with a red ball under his arm. He was getting close to the rings when he suddenly launched his arm and the ball went straight through the middle golden ring. That was fairly quick.

"Nice one James!" She heard Sirius Black cheer, pumping his fist in the air as the wind waved through his curls which he has tied up in a bun.

Watching the two boys fly around in the air gave her a thrill of excitement. And they were going so fast! So many things were possible. She hoped she'd find something that made her happy the way quidditch made them.