Chapter SEVENTEEN

Teegan

Bad decisions were made.

   At the time, it all felt really good and fun. After the fireworks show, Riss handed me another full cup of beer and once that was gone, we ran down into the water. Riss and Sage and the guys were in bathing suits, but I was just in my clothes. We squealed and laughed and then suddenly this guy I hadn't seen before was there, joining in the fun. God, he was hot. Like the type of guy that played the main character in a teen romance movie. Dark hair, styled perfectly, and a smile that could make any girl swoon. And he was giving me attention.

   Back on the deck, he wrapped a warm towel around my shoulders and told me his name was Raff. I laughed and told him that was a silly name. He must have known I was drunk by how I was acting, but he got me another beer anyway. After that, I didn't see Riss or Sage or anyone else that I knew, again. I found my phone on the deck and when I was almost dry again, I saw that it was after midnight. I read a text from my mom that said she hoped I was having fun, but I didn't reply. Head spinning, I realized how drunk I was and that I needed to get home.

   I was only about ten feet down the sand when Raff was there, grabbing my hand.

   "Hey, woah, you can't walk home by yourself," he said, his sweet, crooning voice filling my ears.

   "I can and I will," I told him, but he reached for my hand and held it.

   "Come back to the party. I'll make sure you're safe tonight," he went on, and I considered it.

   "I have to go home," I said, then stumbled and almost fell.

   "Let me walk you, then," he suggested and I nodded, trusting that he meant that he'd just walk me home.

   A minute or two later - pretty much when we were far enough away from the party - he grabbed my hips and pulled me close to him. I squealed and not in a good way, trying to get away. His mouth went to my neck and he kissed me, keeping me against his body.

   "I can make you feel good," he mumbled into my ear.

   I was drunk and weak - and he knew that - but I pulled away and shook my head, trying to put one food in front of the other. It was a bad idea, being this far from the party with him. But I knew I just had to keep walking and get home.

   Then I heard a voice. I don't know why or how, but Cohen was there, walking towards us. My knight in cargo shorts and a blue tank top.

*

Now, I feel embarrassed and pathetic and I'm still drunk but that fight sobered me up pretty quickly. When Cohen was laying there, helpless, as Raff hit him over and over in the face, it was like I was watching it on TV. I couldn't react, or yell, or move.

   "Are you okay?" he asks me, as I walk up beside him after his friend - I don't even know his name - came to collect me from where I was sitting in the sand.

   "Am I okay?" I ask back, narrowing my eyes at him. "I'm... fine. You're the one who... oh my god, your face."

   His friend lets out a laugh but then covers his mouth. Cohen playfully shoves his shoulder.

   "It's pretty bad, Co. Your eye is-"

   "I know. I'll get some ice on it when I'm home," he snaps, then looks at me again.

   We are about five minutes from my house and even though this guy got the shit kicked out of him because of me, he's still trying to smile at me. I sort of wish time would slow down, which is insane. Fifteen minutes ago I was trying to get away from Raff and get home. That happened fast.