Chapter THIRTY ONE

Teegan

Over the next week, things move fast and heavy.

   Unless my mom needs me to watch the kids, I'm with Cohen. When he's working , I wander down there and hang out for a bit and then I meet him when he's done. We're a lot more touchy when we're alone, but we're pretty much still just friends, who kiss. On Monday, when he's off work, Cohen, Rex and I get ice cream and play Frisbee in the sand. When Rex heads home, I go back to Cohen's house, where we watch a movie together and end up making out until my mom calls to ask where I am.

   The entirety of Wednesday is spent with Cohen. We don't have to work, so we walk around town and get pizza and end up at his house again. It's convenient since he lives alone and has no one to answer to. It's also scary because we are new and being along together means we can do whatever we want. That evening, he says I should stay over, for the first time.

   I laugh cause I assume he's kidding. He smiles but shrugs.

  "We're adults. No reason why you can't sleep over."

   "Well, there's the fact that I have to tell my mom where I am. And that I've never spent a night with a guy," I tell him, stretching out on the couch. It's old and worn in and feels safe and warm.

   "Never?" Cohen asks, trying not to sound surprised.

   "I always had a curfew," I say, then shrug.

   "But you've... had sex. Right?"

   I swallow hard. I wasn't expecting the question right now, but I have no problem with it. "I have."

   He nods quickly and pulls me closer to his body. He's warm and I want to do what he's asking - spend the night with him. But telling my mom? It feels awkward and like it's asking for another conversation I don't want to have with her.

   "Well, I think you should stay," he goes on, and then grins.

   "I bet you do." I smile back.

   "You're so... gorgeous. Just here, looking at me like that. You don't need to be like dressed up or anything. You're perfect."

   My cheeks flush. He's always been pretty nice to me but this is the first time he's really complimented me like this. "Cohen. That's sweet."

   "I mean it. " He brushes his thumb over my cheek. "Will you stay?"

   "I'll call my mom."

   Before I can, my phone starts ringing. It's Kiara and for some reason I let it go to my voicemail. It's been awhile since we have talked and the fact that she never called me back that night that I called her, something feels off. I don't feel like talking to her now. I call my mom instead.

   It's only 9P.M. and she answers after two rings.

   "Hey Teeg. Where have you been today?" She sounds curious not mad.

   "With Cohen. I'm, um, going to stay over here tonight... I mean... I just wanted to tell you." I decide not to ask if that's okay. I'm eighteen.

   Silence meets my ears and then she clears her throat. Shit.

   "Right. Okay. Um, you can get the kids from daycare tomorrow? I have meetings after 4P.M." So her method is to ignore this for now.

   "Sure. Yeah," I answer.

   "Thanks. Be safe, okay? See you tomorrow."

   I put my phone down and smile at Cohen.

   "All good?"