Chapter THIRTY FIVE

Cohen

All I can think about the entire time we are at Isaac's party is what is going to happen when I get Teegan back to my house. Somehow it feels like we're suddenly a hell of a lot more serious than we were just two days ago, and we're both ready for what comes next. I think we are, at least.

   The party is actually pretty chill. It's mostly guys from the football team, guys that Rex knows and has hung out with a lot this summer. Naomi and her friends are there, too. But overall it's calm. No one's really drunk - or high - and no one's fighting. Teegan and I sit outside near the fire pit and talk, holding hands. I sip a can of beer and she has a bottle of water. I can tell she's thinking the same thing I am.

   We've only been there for two hours but I'm feeling ready to go. I smile at her and switch my empty beer can to my other hand. She's watching me carefully, her eyes wide. Is she as rearing to go as I am?

   "Are you ready to..." I start, letting my voice trail off. I don't want to seem too eager.

   "Yeah," she says, already nodding.

   "I just want to find Rex and let him know..." I say, looking around a bit.

   He's not outside anywhere and I look over at the deck and see a few people, but not Rex. He must be inside the house. Luke and Naomi are making out in the sand not far from us, and Isaac and a few other guys are near the deck, tossing a football.

   "I'll wait here if you want to go find him," Teegan says, smiling at me.

   "Okay. Yeah. I'll be right back."

   I stand and go towards the deck, the hot, dry sand in my toes. The guys shout at me and wave as I pass them and take the stairs two at a time. My heart is beating a bit too fast because I'm always nervous when it comes to Rex. I slide open the back door and step inside the house, looking around right away. I see a couple girls - friends of Lola's - in the big kitchen.

   "You guys seen Rex?" I ask them.

   One of the girls laughs and the other covers her mouth. They look guilty and it makes me feel even more worried. I don't even remember these girls' names.

   "He's not not in the next room with Riss," the dark haired girl says.

   The blond smacks her arms but laughs anyway. "Don't tell him we told you."

   I walk a bit more into the room and turn towards the living room. I've never been inside this house before, even though I've been to parties here plenty, but don't have to look for long to find Rex and Riss, another of Lola's friends. They are on the black leather sofa, sitting close to each other. I hold my breath and wait, because I don't really want to interrupt this.

   Riss notices me first. She looks up and looks like she got caught with her hand in the cookie jar. A moment later, Rex is looking right at me.

   "Hey," I start, trying to sound as casual as possible. "Teegan and I are going to take off."

   "You are?" Rex asks, looking confused. He looks at his watch and then back to me. "It's only 10P.M."

   "Yeah, uh, we're just..." I say, but look away. "Are you good?"

    Rex looks at Riss. She nods and smiles. "I'm good, yeah. Did something happen?"

   "No, no. It's all good. We're just tired," I tell him, hoping he'll get what I'm trying to tell him. We're not tired. We just want tog. "Let me know when you're home later?"