Chapter TWENTY FOUR

Teegan

This shift at the rental hut seems to fly by.

    It's already after 5P.M. when I am dragging a boat out behind the building towards the rack and I see Cohen and Rex. They are down a bit, closer to the pier, but I know it's them. It's been a busy Wednesday on the beach, tons of families in the sand and people in the water. I had eight paddle board rentals out just today, which is a lot. Things are slowing down now as it's dinner time and people are heading back to eat.

   I am definitely getting stronger now as I can hoist the boat up onto the empty rack without as much struggling, but I still grunt a bit. Maybe I'll have some muscles by the time the summer ends. Heading back to the building, I slip inside and sit down, reaching for my water bottle just as a man approaches the counter.

   I stand up again. "Hello, how can I help you?"

   "Teegan, right?" he asks me, and since he's not familiar looking at all, I am confused.

   "Um, yeah."

   "I'm Derek Turner. Luke's dad? I golf with Francis weekly," he tells me, like I would care about that.

   Okay, so he's a friend of my mom's husband. Cool. Why does he know me?

   "Oh, well, nice to meet you," I say anyway.

   "Yes, you too. I just wanted to pre-book a paddle board for tomorrow afternoon. My younger son wants to learn, and I'm off tomorrow, so I thought we'd give it a shot."

   Good, at least he's here to actually use the rental services.

   "Of course. Here's the form to fill out," I say, and unlock an iPad to turn towards him, where the digital forms are. "Pick what time you want and for how many hours, and the total will be there at the bottom. You can pre-pay or pay tomorrow."

   "Great. Thank you." He starts filling out the form just as I see Rex and Cohen coming up to the counter, from the right.

   They are sort of hovering behind Luke's dad and I'm trying not to make eye contact with them, but Cohen has his eyes on me.

   "Alright, I think I got it all," Mr. Turner says and then notices Rex behind him. He gives the iPad back to me, along with his credit card, and turns to Rex. "Rex! Hey, son! Nice seeing you."

   "Hi Mr. Turner," Rex answers politely. "Renting a boat?"

   "Oh, a paddle board for Oliver, tomorrow," the man answers. "See you at the scrimmage tomorrow evening? Oh, ask your dad if he'd like to come help coach? We could use the extra bodies."

   Rex nods but doesn't say anything, then remains quiet until Mr. Turner is paid and on his way. When Cohen approaches the counter, he spreads his hands out onto it and taps his fingers. Rex snorts.

   "Can I help you?" I ask them, but can't help but laugh.

   "Oh, yes ma'am, can we please have -"

   Rex elbows Cohen in the side and he laughs and stops talking.

   "Hey, Teegan. How are you?" he asks me.

   I haven't seen Rex since Saturday night and I suddenly remember how he was in a rush to get out of there once I was home safely. He's so tall and broad shouldered and really looks exactly like a football player. It's strange how he and Cohen are best friends - they seem like opposites.

   "I'm good," I say, and nod. But I'm looking at Cohen.

   He has not taken his eyes off of me and now he's giving me a far too serious look. I just saw him a few hours ago on the beach, just down from the house, but he seems different now.