Epilogue

Teegan

Nine days later

When Cohen appears in my sight, I have no doubts at all that this was how we were meant to come together. It's the middle of October and I'm in the New York City bus station. I've been here for an hour because I've been so excited to see him.

   Last weekend, he went to Bridgeport. I took a bus from the city to see him and meet his grandparents. We spent one day together out of his two days there, and it was like we hadn't even been apart for so long. He showed me around Bridgeport, we had lunch with his grandma and then we walked around downtown a bit before heading back to the bus station. We just fit together perfectly, even thought the situation was so different. We were no longer having a new summer relationship, on the beach. Summer's long gone at this point and we both know it.

   Before I got back on a bus at the end of our day together, Cohen pulled me close to him and held me in his arms for a long time. We didn't say anything for those few minutes, but we didn't have to. Ticket in hand, I slowly pulled away, out of his grip. He had tears in his eyes.

   "I'll see you soon?" he asked, practically begging me to agree.

   I nodded, smiling at him. "Of course. Let me know as soon as your flight back is booked."

   "I will," he finished.

   He kissed me again before I turned and headed off to get on the bus back to the city.

   Now, he's in my sight again. It's a bit more than week later. Yesterday, he arrived back in Bridgeport, for good. He got settled in to his new apartment in his grandparents basement, and called me last night. Now, he's the one getting off the bus in New York City, and I'm waiting on him.

   His goofy smile is plastered across his face as he approaches me and then picks me up off the ground in a hug. We talked daily over the last week, when he was back in San Diego. He went to a concert with Rex, and said goodbye to him. It's not goodbye forever, of course. But now he's living across the country from his best friend since he was twelve.

  As Cohen lowers me to the ground again, I look into his eyes. "You're finally here."

  "I am," he says, nodding. "That bus ride felt like it took forever, but I'm so happy to be here."

   I kiss him, just a peck on his lips, but he smiles against my mouth and pulls me closer.

  "Stop," I tell him, giggling. "We're in the middle of the bus station.

  "Let's get back to your dorm room, then," he says, and then laughs.

  "No way. I'm showing you around the city." I slip his hand into mine after he tosses his back pack onto his back. "We're meeting Kiara and Gia at the cafe in an hour."

  Cohen pretends to pout but then laughs again and starts walking beside me. He glances at me a few times as we leave the bus station and head down the street towards the busy intersection. Then he's completely awestruck, his eyes wide as he looks around.

  "It's always like this?" he asks, shouting so I can hear him. "It's only 10A.M."

  "Yep," I answer, then squeeze his hand tighter. "Welcome to New York."

  "Okay, Taylor Swift," he says, and then grins down at me.

  We walk for awhile until we are in Central Park. It's one of my favourite places to sit and people watch, when I have time. So I bring him over to my favourite bench and we sit, but instead of looking around now, he's got his eyes on me again.