Chapter THIRTY FOUR

Teegan

"Hey."

   I'm walking towards the rental hut mid morning the next day, and I hear someone coming up behind me. The voice is familiar and as turn around I know who it is right away.

   Rex is walking up towards me. He's wearing a tank top and track shorts and flip flop. His muscles are showing and he's honestly so cute that I'm surprised he's single.

   "Hi," I say back.

   The last time I saw him was a couple of days ago when we played frisbee together, with Cohen. I know he's been texting Cohen a lot. Suddenly I feel like maybe Rex is regretting telling me to talk to him, last weekend. Maybe he thinks I'm taking up all of Cohen's time.

   He's looking at me carefully, like he's trying to figure something out.

   "You know Co is working, right?" he asks.

   "Oh, yeah, I was just going to go see him." I force a smile. He must know about our "fight".

   "Oh. Alright."

   "He told you about last night ?" I ask anyway.

   Rex narrows his eyes. "He tells me everything."

   "Right. Well, for the record... he left. He sort of freaked out and just left."

   "Your step dad walked in on you two making out. That's awkward."

   "True. Yeah. But still."

   Rex looks over at the hut, which is about thirty feet away at this point. "Man, he's so crazy about you. He texted me when he left your place and came to meet us down here. And then he wouldn't shut up about you."

   I smile. "I like him, too. A lot."

   "Good. "

   "So... you were coming to see him, too?" I ask.

   Rex shrugs. "I hang out around the hut sometimes when he's working. And he was upset last night, so I figured he'd need me. I'll go, though. Give you two some space."

   I nod, thanking him silently. He spins on his heels and I watch him walk back the other way for a few moments.

   When I get the guts to walk over to the hut, Cohen is talking to a man at the counter. He sees me but barely looks at me as he finishes up with the customer.

   I don't know what to say so I just lean on the counter and smile.

   "Hi," he starts. "What are you doing here?"

   "I'm sorry. For telling you to leave last night," I say, because I am sorry. I shouldn't have said that.

   Cohen reaches out instinctively and touches my hand. "I'm sorry I left. I was... overwhelmed."

   "Yeah, I assumed that."

   "Let's just... forget that happened?" he suggests.

   "Okay. Yeah." I smile. "I have to work tonight, obviously, but we can hang out after I close up here?"

   "Yeah. I was hoping you'd want to stay over again? I slept so well that night, with you."

   I smile at him again and lean in closer, on my elbows. "Maybe."

   "Maybe?" he asks and then sticks out his tongue at me.

   "See you tonight," I say and then back away a bit.