Chapter FORTY FOUR

Teegan

He's not okay.

   This is the text I get from Cohen, at 2A.M. 

   I don't sleep that night. I lay awake, worrying about Rex and Cohen and wondering why I even left the hospital. I text back and ask if he's alive, and if he's going to wake up, but Cohen doesn't reply.

   In the morning, I tell my mom what I know. She agrees to let me take the van back to Santa Maria, and when I pull into the hospital parking lot again, my heart is beating way too fast. Cohen hasn't answered a call or texted me back since that 2A.M. text.

   Cohen, I'm outside. Please. Answer me.

   Nothing, even after thirty minutes. I check my phone every few minutes in case I miss it. It feels like none of this is real. I can't just walk into the hospital and ask for Rex. His parents don't know me. I need Cohen to answer me.

   Cohen, I drove back here and I want to be here for you. Please.

   I sit in the van and wait. Something is telling me to continue to wait, but two hours later, he still hasn't answered. He has seen the texts. I've called, and he's not answering. After a good cry, I drive back to Avila.

   This feeling of helplessness is not something I've felt before. My mom doesn't know what to do or say, so she just mostly leaves me alone. I spend the afternoon and evening packing up my stuff. It feels unreal, not only that I'm packing up and leaving this place I've called home all summer, but that Cohen is ignoring me. It's almost 8P.M. when there's a knock on my door.

   I'm laying on the bed, my eyes closed but I can't sleep. I don't answer so the door opens.

   "Hi, Teegan." It's Oscar.

   His little face looks at me and then around the room. The two suitcases are on the floor, packed up and closed. It doesn't look or feel like my bedroom anymore and he sees that.

  "Hey," I manage to say, pushing my body up to sitting.

  "Mom said you're sad today. I just wanted to give you a hug before I go to bed." His voice is quiet and he's staying back.

  "Oh. Thanks," I tell him, throwing my legs over the side of the bed.

   Oscar comes closer and jumps up onto the bed, hugging me a moment later. It only lasts a minute and then he looks at me for a long minute before hopping down again.

   "I hope tomorrow is better," he says and then leaves the room.

   He's six years old. He knew what I needed without making me talk or even think about anything. I still feel overwhelmingly sad and the unknown is the worst, but somehow that hug made my feel a little better.

   An hour later, I finally get a text from Cohen. I kept telling myself he just needed some space and time and that things would be okay. But this text doesn't make me feel any better, either.

   He made it out of surgery but he's in a coma.

   None of this makes sense. Rex is the sweetest, friendliest, awesome guy. He's smart and he's supposed to play football in college. In a few days. He's not supposed to be in the hospital, in a coma.

   I force my fingers to type back a reply.

   Tell me if you need anything. I can be there anytime.