Chapter THIRTY SEVEN

Cohen

The days pass by too fast.

   I love every moment that I get to spend with Teegan, and it's a lot. Her mom has invited me over for dinner a couple of times now and she doesn't mind if I hang out with Teegan when she's babysitting the kids. Reese may be my boss, but she's also my girlfriend's mom, and she likes me. It's pretty crazy.

   "Cohen's mom and sister are coming to Avila on Friday, for the weekend," Teegan tells her mom on Wednesday, as we are sitting down to eat dinner.

   Her mom is an amazing cook and made lasagna and veggies tonight. The kids are already eating and Teegan is pulling out her chair next to Josie. I sit beside Teegan and my stomach growls, loud.

   "That's great, Cohen. Have you seen them at all since you came back here?" Reese asks me.

   I shake my head. "It's been a bit over a month since I've seen them, but I've talked to my mom a lot. I think she's just wanting to see if I'm taking care of myself, and the house. And they want to meet Teegan."

   Reese smiles at her oldest daughter and then at me. "That's nice. I bet it'll be good to see them."

   I nod and start eating, because it smells amazing and I'm hungry, as always. Teegan's eating and not really paying much attention to me but I watch her for a minute, because I just like looking at her. Reese clears her throat and starts talking again a few minutes later.

   "You two have gotten really close, and that's wonderful. You're obviously happy together."

   Teegan looks up an over at her mom, a nervous look on her face. I have a feeling I know where she's going with this.

   "I just wanted to talk, maybe, about... you know... when the summer comes to an end."

   Why? Why does she have to bring this up now? I mean, I get why she thinks she should. I should have been expecting it, really. She's trying to do some damage control. But right now, today, is not when I want to think about it.

   "Mom, we don't have to..." Teegan says, trying to sound like this is still casual conversation.

   Reese nods and goes back to eating, and then I notice that she's looking right at me. Does she really want me to give my opinion on this, right now?

   "It's just that... I know it's going to be hard for all of us, when Teegan leaves. It's not like we can put it off, you know? It's happening."

   Oscar whimpers and as soon as he swallows his bite of food, he is talking. "When is Teegan leaving?"

   "Mom," Teegan says again, warning her.

   "You guys know Teegan is just here for the summer. She lives in Seattle, and she's going to New York, for college, in September," Reese tells tells the little ones.

   Josie is barely paying attention but I see the look on Oscar's face.

   "I wish Teegan could always live here," he mumbles.

   Teegan sucks in a breath and glances at me. I hold eye contact for second and then look down at my plate again. I don't like this feeling in my chest. Teegan has many an impact on all of us, but her time here was always going to be short lived. I let myself get attached to her, to the idea of being with her. And it's my heart that is going to shatter right along with her little brothers'.

*

   An hour later, when the kids have gone to get cleaned up and Teegan and I are still hanging around, sitting in the living room, Reese strolls in and leans against the wall. She's watching us, and I can feel her eyes on me specifically. She's trying to figure this all out, whether we've decided it's just a summer thing or something more. The thing is, we don't know. Or, I don't know. Teegan doesn't seem to want to talk about it.