Chapter THIRTY

Cohen

I thought I was just being a nice guy by going back and helping Katrina with the boats, at the end of her shift. She finished the paperwork while I dragged two boats and two paddle boards back to the cage and when I was back at the hut, she basically threw herself at me.

   This girl is barely five feet tall and somehow she's stronger than me. She gets me against the side of the building and she's pulling my face close to hers, kissing me a moment later. My brain is a bit foggy but as soon as I realize what's happening, I slip out of her grip.

   "What's the matter?" she asks, clearly confused. "Didn't you come back to hook up?"

   "What? Jesus, no. You thought I came back to help you because I wanted to hook up?" I snap back.

   The look on her face says she obviously did think that. "Luke said you're not dating anyone."

   "So, that doesn't mean I want to make out with you," I say quickly. "I mean, no offence. You're cute, Katrina, but-"

   "Oh my god, whatever," she huffs. "See ya."

   Well, that was weird.

   I walk back towards my house alone, while Katrina goes the other way. I feel like I did something wrong but I don't even know why. It's only a bit after 7P.M. but I have no plans for the night and I don't think I'll be drinking anytime soon, since I woke up feeling like shit after I drank too much. I guess it'll be a quiet night.

   It's 11P.M. and I'm in my bedroom, watching a movie on my iPad when my phone buzzes. It's a text from Rex, so I open it right away. I know he was at that party tonight, but I tried not to worry about him. I know he can take care of himself.

   I also tried not to think about Teegan tonight, but it didn't work. I wanted to text her. I wanted to say that I was stupid and that seeing her today - even for a second - made me happy. But I didn't text her, but she clearly didn't want to hear from me.

   Now, reading the text from Rex, wakes me right up.

   So, something crazy just happened.

   Me: What happened? Are you okay?

   Rex: Yeah, I'm good. Uh, well, Naomi and Taylor got really high and decided they wanted to go swimming. They were out too far and the waves were big, and Luke realized it was not good. So Isaac and Luke and I swim out there and Taylor's okay but she's crying and saying that Naomi got pulled under. So Luke and I just keep going under and swimming around and finally we find her, she's not breathing. We get her back to shore and then Teegan is there, all of a sudden like doing CPR on Naomi.

   It comes through in three texts and I read it over and read because it doesn't seem real.

   Me: WTF. Is she okay? Why was Teegan there?

   Rex: Naomi's okay now, she had taken in a lot of water and passed out, Teegan knew what to do. She was sitting outside at her house next door when she heard the commotion I guess.

   Me: Shit, Rex. That must have been scary. Were you drinking?

   Rex: You know I never drink. I'm actually just heading home now.

   Me: Okay, be careful. Hang out tomorrow?

   Rex: I'll come over after football drills with my dad.