Chapter TWENTY EIGHT

Cohen

"Dude, what the hell happened?"

   Rex is suddenly in front of me, but I'm trashed and my vision is blurry. I'm still outside and I have no idea what time it is. I look around and see at least ten beer cans scattered around, on the ground.

   "Rex," I begin, lowering my head. "I... I'm so happy to see you."

   "Cool. You're drunk. And you texted an hour ago that you needed me. What's going on?" Rex looks disappointed in me, but that's not new.

   I have to think hard to remember what happened, which is why I started drinking so much in the first place. I wanted to forget that Teegan found out my secret before I could tell her. I wanted to forget that she called and yelled at me and ended whatever it was that we were just starting.

   I grumble and look up, trying to focus on my best friend. "She found out about Lola."

   I'm not too drunk to see that Rex is confused. "What?"

   "Teegan... someone told her that I dated her step sister and she yelled at me and now she doesn't want to-"

   "Are you kidding me? You didn't tell her yourself?" Rex is shaking his head. "I didn't think you were that dumb."

   "I... I know I should have."

   "I have a hard time even feeling bad for you right now, dude." He sits down beside me anyway. "I told you this was going to get messy."

   "Yeah, yeah, Mr. Smartypants, always right..." I let my voice trail off, kicking at some sand. "I just... I like her so much. I'm really... I'm such an idiot."

   "Would you please call me Mr. Smartypants from now on?" Rex says and then laughs. "Honestly, Co, I could tell you liked her. It was sort of embarrassing how obvious you were about it."

   "Yeah, well, it doesn't matter now. I kissed her and I told her that I like her, last night. And-"

   "You kissed her last night?" Rex looks half surprised and half proud.

   "She told me to."

   "Dude."

   "I have to make her realize that I know I fucked up and that I am worth giving a second chance to. I have to try," I go on, ignoring his reaction to this. "Help me?"

   "You've never asked me for help getting a girl," Rex says and then grins.

   "I've never needed help getting a girl," I say.

   "Cocky, much?"

   "Shut up. Please, will you... help?" I can't believe I'm begging, but I need this right now.

   "What can I do?" Rex wants to know.

   "I have to think. I have to... sober up," I admit, squeezing eyes closed, as if it will help.

   "I'll get you some water," he says and hops up, already walking towards the house.

   An hour later, it's after 10P.M. and I don't have a plan at all. I feel nauseous and even after I throw up in the grass beside the house, I don't feel any better. I'm not sure why I drank so much, but I'm regretting it now.

   "Maybe like a big, grand gesture?" Rex suggests, then shrugs. "Girls like that stuff, don't they?"

   "Girls in movies. Teegan is different," I say, shaking my head.