Can't Trust This Feeling

Remy smiled politely and nodded as he made his way down the beach towards Chloe and Tate. Honestly, he wanted to stay in tonight, perhaps have his two best friends over for a few beers to bitch about his current dealings with the Council. Or maybe go for a run to work off some of the nervous energy that had been strangely building up the last couple of days.

Gods knew the Council was a pain in his ass and had been ever since he won the election as town mayor two years ago.

Fuck, now he understood why every other mayor since his father had stepped down after a few years - none even making it to the full five years. For one of the very few communities in the country where multiple groups of supernatural beings lived and worked together rather peacefully, they certainly seemed to enjoy getting at each other's throats.

Which is why he wanted to be home watching the game with Tate and Chloe, not surrounded by people where he had to be town mayor instead of just Remy. It wasn't even this bad when he took over as alpha of the wolf pack 15 years ago.

But instead, he was here at one of the regular bonfires that the younger people hosted, at the insistence of his beta and best friend, Chloe. It had always been hard to say no to her, though Remy thanked all the gods that she was often the most levelheaded of their little trio. Tate would always get them into trouble, and only Chloe had succeeded at talking the bear shifter out of his more hairbrained schemes.

Remy was always tasked with damage control after the fact.

He knew that Chloe wanted him to come so he could meet their newest resident - Nadia Johansen. She had taken the woman under her wing, though had been pretty tightlipped about all other details, which was unlike Chloe, now that he really thought about it.

Eh, he blamed it on his massive workload and the fact that his wolf had been driving him crazy the last couple of days. Maybe he should have gone on a run tonight. Or not. Chloe would have killed him if he dared miss the bonfire.

Even with his exhaustion, Remy had to admit he was curious about Nadia. Ms. Ingrid had been the town crazy, sure, but he had always liked her, seeing her as a surrogate grandmother. No one told stories or cooked like she could. Though he found it hilarious that most of the town of shifters, witches, and warlocks were half terrified of the old woman.

Despite the old stories told about her kind, he knew she wouldn't hurt a fly. And certainly not any of the residents of Fisher's Bay. If anything, he thought Ms. Ingrid's kind was misunderstood and not the savages that everyone else seemed keen to think they were.

"Remy! Man, you made it!" someone shouted at him.

He stopped, smiling as he barely registered whatever was being said by the fox shifter. He remembered the days when coming to bonfires was a time to unwind and relax. Maybe hook up. Now it seemed everyone wanted a piece of his time, usually to ask for some ridiculous favor.

And well, he could still hook up, Remy supposed, glancing around at the more than a few hungry looks he was getting from the single women around him (and some of the men). But now that he was mayor, he was just too damn tired. Plus his mother would probably lecture him about it. She always seemed to know everything.

Remy should have never run for office. He already had enough on his plate being alpha. Why couldn't he have been content with just sitting on the Council? Ah, right, because his mother had sensed his restlessness and thought being mayor would help keep him centered. Maybe finally get him to settle down and get married, even though he was only 33.

As if Remy could go anywhere else. As alpha, he was destined to never leave Fisher's Bay. And to further his bloodline, even though marriage and kids were the last thing on his mind right now.