Too Little, Too Late

"What the hell, Remy!" Chloe shouted, spinning around to glare at him just after Nadia ran off into the trees. "Go after her! She doesn't even know her way around the woods!"

Remy groaned as he shook his head, trying to figure out just what the hell had just happened now that he had some sense quite literally knocked into him.. Okay, so he knew what had happened. He just needed to figure out why.

Why he had let his anger take over and why he had accused Nadia of using him.

His wolf was furious with him, even though he was the one that had lost his goddamn mind at the mention of demons. His bloodlust for all of demonkind was even worse than Remy's.

Jesus, he had really fucked this up. There was no way Nadia could be involved with any sort of plot to take him down. Or her mother, now that he thought about it. The woman had kept them on the run for all these years so they could stay away from a frickin' demon.

"Maybe give her some time," Mara said. "If I know my daughter as well as I think I do, she needs her space."

He looked over, watching as Tate helped Mara up from the ground. Remy winced and looked away, guilt churning through him. He couldn't believe that he had tried to strangle Nadia's mother - a member of his own pack. While he had once been angry at her for Nadia's upbringing, everything was starting to make sense. And it looked like she was trying to make things right.

She had come back to Fisher's Bay, after all.

Gods, he had really let things get off track. Even now, he wanted to run after Nadia. To apologize and beg for her forgiveness. Tell her that he still wanted to be with her. She was his fated mate. While he felt the gods must have some sort of twisted sense of humor putting them together, there was a reason why.

And in the end, it didn't matter. He still wanted her. All her life, Nadia had felt alone and he wasn't about to turn his back on her. He was just going to have to get over the demon thing. Well, truthfully, he kind of already was.

Even if she was half-demon, she was still Nadia.

"I'm sorry," he said. "I shouldn't have jumped to conclusions."

"It's okay. Demons scare me too," she said

Remy flinched and looked away, not wanting to admit that he had been scared. He pulled in a deep breath, his hands scrubbing down his face.

Holy shit, was this crazy. First, finding out he had a fated mate. Then thinking she was human. Finding out she wasn't. And now this.

Nadia was half-demon.

Fuck, the town was going to go ballistic over that.

"I'm sorry about your father. He was a good man," Mara said. "He was always nice to me. Your mother too." Remy looked over at her. "When did he...?"

"Fifteen years ago. Demon from Sathanus' kingdom. He snuck through our borders and killed him over some supposed deal," Remy recited.

Mara nodded and looked away, frowning.

"That doesn't make sense. Marcus... didn't seem like the type to deal with demons," she said, wrapping her arms around herself. "But then again, it doesn't take much with one of Sathanus' kind. You look at them wrong and they'll rip your head off."

Remy's eyebrows rose, though he probably shouldn't have been surprised by her knowledge. She had just spent the last 30 some years on the run from a demon. It made sense that Mara would learn everything she could about their kind.

Chloe glanced at Remy and then walked over to Mara.

"So... you didn't really know the truth about Nadia's father when you first met him?" she asked gently.