Second Guesses

Her mind was a swirl of color and heat. Muted music thumped in the background, but Nadia couldn't make out what the song was. Only that it was familiar.

"Sweetheart, I'll be just about anything if it means you're in my arms."

Nadia groaned to herself, feeling her entire body light up.

Ours... now's the time... take him...

"Take him where?" she murmured.

Ours... Take him... TAKE HIM...

Nadia's eyes popped open, seeing the ceiling of her grandmother's bedroom above her. The weird whisper died away instantly as her head began pounding, reminding her of the very bad decision she made to drink with Chloe last night.

Whatever the hell these weird dreams were about, it was getting old fast.

"Good Lord," she groaned before rolling over and burying her face into her pillow.

She was too old to be doing this. Hungover? For the second time this week? Who was she? True, 30 wasn't that old, but still. Nadia hadn't drank like this since her mid-twenties. Yes, she and Lara were known for the occasional wine drunk night, but this was beyond even that.

Hopefully she hadn't acted like a drunk idiot at the bar. As it was, everything from last night was super fuzzy. She remembered doing shots and dancing. What Nadia didn't remember was leaving, meaning Chloe must have once again taken care of her drunk ass. The woman had insane tolerance, Nadia had to admit.

Reaching up, Nadia rubbed her eyes, her eyelids sticking together a bit after sleeping in her contacts again. Somehow pulling herself together, Nadia dragged herself out of the bed and stumbled into the bathroom, where she pulled the lenses out and dropped them into a waste basket.

Sighing, her weary eyes drifted back to the mirror, and became transfixed on her reflection.

Wearing colored contacts so much had Nadia forgetting sometimes about her true eye color. It was almost shocking to stare into their violet-blue depths. Never in her life had Nadia met anyone else who had the same shade. Her own mother wouldn't even look at her without contacts in, hissing that she had to wear them all the time.

"Are they bad, Mommy? Am I bad?"

"Just put in your contacts or wear sunglasses..."

Nadia shook her head, curious about why that memory would choose to come up now. As a kid, she never questioned her mother, learning very quickly that would only get her in trouble and never the answers she wanted. Though now that she really thought about it, Nadia wondered how her mother always seemed to have a never-ending supply of brown contacts despite how poor they were.

Sighing, she started up the shower before pulling off her clothes from last night and then getting in. Though she still had a headache, the hot water helped. All she needed was some coffee and ibuprofen and she'd be almost human again.

It didn't feel like she had been under the water that long, but it probably had been considering the water had gone just slightly chillier than lukewarm. Nadia got out and pulled on some sweatpants and an old Boston University long-sleeve t-shirt. After towel-drying her hair, she gathered it up into a messy bun and made her way to the kitchen for coffee.

The smell of a pot already brewed had her stopping in her tracks, a frown on her face. Nadia didn't have one of those fancy ones that you could pre-program to brew. Which meant that someone else was-

"Good, you're up. How are you feeling?"

Nadia squealed as she jumped around, her heart thumping as she saw Remy standing in the archway leading to the living room. Her heart was racing so hard that she couldn't make herself speak.