Awakenings

Remy stood outside Tate's truck, staring at Marge's and wondering just why they were here. He really should be trying to catch whoever was killing the town's residents, not at the local watering hole. They had just sat through a three-hour Council meeting that was more shouting accusations than it was productive.

Yet again, he had to talk Agatha down from getting her hands on Nadia's blood. Though this time the witch had tried to convince him it was because she needed to look into what had rendered her completely human. Remy didn't for a second believe the witch was acting out of good will. It also didn't help that Matthew looked all too eager to back her up.

The need to protect Nadia was growing stronger.

Thank gods the two had backed off when he reassured them - once again - that Chloe was watching her. Though that hadn't pacified his wolf in the slightest. But again - they needed to be focused on other things right now.

He had patrols to check in with, reports to go over, and he really should be back at City Hall, going through the meager collection of texts they had on Havsfru. Or better yet, out in the woods with the patrols.

Not drinking at a bar.

He shot a glare over at his best friend.

"You said one beer," he grumbled.

"Yea, but I didn't say where," Tate sang, already walking towards the door.

"This looks bad. People are dying and I'm at a bar? Come on, Tate. Even you aren't that stupid," Remy said, reluctantly following him. "I thought we were going to your place."

Tate stopped just in front of the door and spun around, a stern look on his face.

"You've been running yourself ragged. You look like shit. Remy, you need a break," he said. "The patrols are fine - they know to contact us if something comes up. Just, have a couple beers and then you can go back to being a damn workaholic."

Remy glared at him.

"For fuck's sake, I refuse to let you burn yourself out and never have fun. You're only 33," Tate grumbled. "I promise. Two beers. Then I'll take you back to City Hall and we can dig into more Havsfru lore together even though you know I'm allergic to books."

Remy glanced over at the bar and then down the street towards town. Sighing, he shook his head.

"Fine," he said, walking towards the door.

Tate grinned and slapped him on the back.

"Trust me. You need this," he said.

"Sure," Remy griped.

He reached out to push the door open when it hit him. While it was similar to the other times he had been around Nadia, this time it was a million times stronger. Remy's body tensed as he closed his eyes and breathed in deeply. His wolf howled inside him, pushing to take over.

Something inside him whispered to let go. To drown in the desire that was heavy in the air. Remy tried to fight it off for a split second before he snapped and his eyes flew open. He shoved the door open so hard, it slammed into the wall and nearly shattered the glass. Growling, his eyes roamed the bar, taking in the many bodies now writhing and grinding against each other on the dance floor.

If he had been in his right mind, he would have noted that whatever was going on, it wasn't normal. Sure shifters got a little extra horny on full moons, but the bar was damn well near orgy level and they were still too far off from a full moon for that to have an effect.

His eyes stopped roaming when he found a lone woman in the center of it, her eyes closed as she moved in time with the music, which had a dark sultry beat. He could feel it in his bones. The urge to go up to her and make her his.