Chapter 10: Cookie Monster

Friday November 26 7pm

My first weekend off since I started bartending at Molasses and Lauren had to work, which sucks, but she gets off kind of early tonight, so it's not too bad I guess. I decided to bake some cookies to pass the time; Lo has a huge sweet tooth so I know she will love them. She's been gone for the past two days visiting family in Philadelphia for Thanksgiving, while I spent the holiday with Quinn and Sam. Since being in New York, Quinn and I have always had Thanksgiving dinner together with a group of friends. I cooked dinner, naturally; and while it was a great day, I wished Lo were around to share it with me.

She got back in town early this afternoon but had to go to work right away at the diner. I've missed her like crazy! We texted and talked the entire time, but it just wasn't the same. I'm so used to seeing her everyday that not seeing her left me with a kind of empty feeling almost. I couldn't wait until she got off of work, which was in another 2 hours, so I could hug her and kiss her and cuddle with her. Yes, I can confess I love cuddling, but only with Lo. I know I sound whipped considering she's only been gone for 2 days, but dropping her off at the train station was torture.

Sunday marks exactly one month since the blackout. Which means Lo and I have been an official couple for almost a month. Which also means it's been almost a month since I chickened out on telling Lauren I loved her. I don't know why but I just couldn't say it. I love everything about Lauren, I love the way she shares a pillow with me when she sleeps over, I love when we have dinner together on nights we are both off of work, I love cuddling with her on the couch and watching movies. I love how when she leaves in the early morning to head to the dance studio that she always makes me a cup of hot chocolate and a small breakfast; she'll then text me a picture of her smiling to wake me up and tell me to eat breakfast. I love how she makes me think about everything, she makes the simplest things seem complex and deep. I love when I come home from running errands and she's sitting on the couch waiting for me, even if she does sometimes have Lord Tubbington on the furniture, which I really don't like. I love when she comes over late after work and she slips in bed, she always kisses me softly on the neck before wrapping her arm around me and falling asleep. I love Lauren. I'm in love with Lauren. So why the hell can't I tell her?

I'm taking the last batch of cookies out of the oven when I hear a knock at the door. I glance over at the time on the microwave, it's only 7 so I know it's not Lo, she's not off of work yet. I wipe my hands off and head to answer the door.

"Hey Mila, you busy?" Quinn asked with a smile.

I shake my head no. "Come on in." I tell her with a smile of my own.

"God it smells good in here." Quinn exclaims loudly. "You baking cookies?"

I laugh and head to back to the kitchen with Quinn close on my heels. "Yeah I am, sugar and my famous oatmeal raisin, and yes I made you and Sam cookies. Yours are in the tin over there." I tell her while pointing to a bright pink tin on the counter.

She quickly runs over to it and immediately pulls out a cookie and bites it. "Damn these are good."

I can't help but laugh. "So what brings you over?" I ask her while pulling out a letter B cookie cutter and beginning to carefully carve around the oatmeal raisin cookies

"I've never understood why you use the cookie cutter after you bake the cookies." Quinn says while hopping on the counter next to me. "And I just wanted to come visit." She shrugs.

"I'm saving the pieces to make something else." I tell her. "And it's easier to cut out oatmeal raisin cookies this way."

She eats another cookie and nods. "What are you doing with the pieces?"