Chapter 19: Date Night

December 16th

Lauren was sick for almost a week, which was rough for me, mainly because I damn near stressed myself out by trying to take care of her, Puck had me working like crazy, I had tons of cookie and cupcake orders, and Lo had me take all the meetings with the contractors for the penthouse, so I'm exhausted physically, mentally, and emotionally. Well, maybe not completely emotionally since I did still cuddle with Lo every night, which always relaxes me, even when she just fell asleep on my chest or across my lap, I felt such a sense of calm. She even she offered to sleep in the guestroom so I didn't get sick, which I immediately turned down, I needed and wanted her close to me. Initially it felt kind of weird for me to make the decisions on the penthouse, like the colors and faucets and paneling but Lauren helped me realize that it wasn't just her penthouse, it was going to be ours. She said she needed me to feel comfortable making the decisions, since she wanted me to be completely happy when we moved in. I did make a minor adjustment to the roof top patio that I planned to surprise Lauren with. So after juggling all of that, plus an overly hyper Chef, who was beyond comfortable in the apartment now, and Quinn who is mortified that Sam doesn't want to get married. I kind of burned myself out.

Today was the first day that Lo was feeling better, she stopped coughing last night, and her fever was completely gone; which I was more than happy of, I felt so bad for her with her runny nose, headaches, and that horrible cough. Chef would stare at the bedroom door every time she coughed and run, it was hilarious. I'm also happy we wouldn't have to eat soup for dinner again. I would feel too bad eating a burger or a piece of chicken if Lo could only stomach soup, so I ate soup all week with her. I had to work happy hour once again today and it literally blew me, I'm so exhausted. It was a madhouse in there, and since Puck offered Snixxtinis for only $3, my area was super busy, but the tips were awesome so I smiled through the annoying drunken crowd and counted down the minutes until I could go home and pass out on my couch. At exactly 7:15pm I cash out my drawer and head to the back to get my coat and purse. I pull out my phone and text Lauren once I get in the car.

TO Lo: Hey baby, I'm headed home, do you need anything? I can pick up dinner, I don't feel like cooking tonight, hope you don't mind.

I let the car warm up as I lean my head back and close my eyes while I wait for Lauren to text me back. I hear my phone chime and see I have a text from Quinn.

FROM Q: Best friend lunch date tomorrow? I need to vent.

TO Q: Sure Q, let's meet at Hank's diner.

FROM Q: Thanks, 11:30?

TO Q: Perfect. You're welcome.

I sigh and turn on the radio just as Lauren texts me back.

FROM Lo: I made us dinner reservations for 8, so don't stop for food

The last thing I want to do is go out to dinner, but if Lo went through the trouble then I would never turn her down, besides she's been cooped up in the bedroom for days, so I don't blame her for wanting to get back out in the real world, so I smile and text her back.

TO Lo: Sounds good, I'll be home soon.

I pull off and head home while I try to get my mind off of the couch and focused on dinner with Lo. When I get home, I find her in a gorgeous black dress with knee high boots, her hair is curled and pinned up, and she is wearing the biggest smile ever. "You look so beautiful baby, how are you feeling?" I ask her as I hug her and kiss her. "You smell amazing too." I add with a smile. "Thanks, and I feel really good." She replies shyly. "I hope you don't mind going out to dinner." I actually don't anymore, seeing how good Lo looks right and that million-dollar smile quickly turns my attitude around.