IV: Assignments Will be the End of Me

Unlocking the wooden door at the far end of the corridor, I entered my house, feeling flushed from the chilly ride, with Edward. He was really something when it came to being charismatic, but his niceness was giving me second thoughts. I had very little information about him to even decipher his intentions, but I made a mental note to be on guard around him.

I slithered over the couch in the lounge after dropping my bag and the keys on the carpeted floor. I pushed my black boots out with my feet, swiping them under the couch. I shrugged off my white coat and untie my short hair. Extracting my phone out of my pocket, I set it on charging first thing.

Switching it on after a while, I found several messages from several unknown numbers, a nauseated aching feeling forming in my stomach already.

You have been added to the WhatsApp group: Computer Conversation. Tap to accept.

Several phone numbers had been added there, which I assumed were my class colleagues. And they were chatting animatedly about random university incidentals and things which weren't of much importance to me.

The other conversations, which I concluded were from Marilyn, my online Wattpad friends, and last but not least, Edward.

I tapped on his profile picture, which was subtly filtered into a hot playboy attire.

Oh, Christ. I did not just call him hot.

His lanky body leaned over his precious white Chevrolet, while his dirty blond hair ruffled into the wind, and a cigarette was plopped in his veiny hands lazily to match the persona. If I knew any better, I knew the whole photo screamed danger.

I clicked open his texts first, to find him sending me several hi's and hello's before resorting to sad emoticons followed by frustrated "assignments will be the end of me" passages.

Unsure of whether to even add him back and how did he even get access to my phone number, to begin with, it all begun to cloud my mind. I knew this was not going to end well, and my conscience seemed to scream at me to run for my life. But to keep things at bay and to stay on the safer side, I decide to send the assignments after doing them since I had promised that to him during our not-so-amusing interaction.

I somehow felt inclined to send him my work in case he got upset, or worse, things took a wrong turn. I just needed to be careful enough.

I chose not to reply back for now and focus on my work first. If he thought I was some smart nerdy girl who was punctual and spent days studying and revising, then he was absolutely wronged. 

I texted back some words of reassurance to a whiny Marilyn who wasn't in the mood to share her valuable research with the guys that kept nagging her about it.

I locked my phone, which kept vibrating with tons of notifications and texts, obviously from the group chat. I lazily got up from bed, stretching my aching body, and almost lost vision, before sitting on the edge of the bed again. I regained my composure, rubbing my temples. I felt very light-headed and dizzy, and my body was feeling very hot. I decided to finally drag myself to the kitchen and get myself some water, not before finding a neat sandwich placed on the countertop by Mum. I sighed, deciding to finally have something in my system instead of throwing it away this time.

After finishing eating and cleaning, I went back to my room, not before taking a quick glance at the floor-length mirror to check out myself. My body although curvy, was doing a little better. Keyword: a little. I still despised my legs and the zero-thigh gap between them. Sighing to myself, I bounced back on the bed, gathering my things again to finish off my work.