XXX: Time Takes Things

So you were never a saint
And I loved in shades of wrong
We learned to live with the pain
Mosaic broken hearts
But this love is brave and wild

Were the lyrics in the red background that Edward had posted on his Instagram story, while I stalked him from a different made-up account -- where I hadn't blocked him. I analysed the lyrics a little deeper, a voice in the back of my head telling me, that this was some kind of message and that it was probably meant for me.

Was he trying to paint me as a bad person in front of everyone?

A small part of my heart ached at the feeling, of his accusatory supposition. After everything I did for him, gave up on myself for him, and in the end, this is what I got in return. Now he would be the better person in front of everyone while framing me as the villain.

Maybe that's what Hayden meant when he said he was obsessed with me and would do anything to get me back -- all for the wrong intentions of course. Even if it meant to the extent of blackmailing me.

I stalked his friend's list but there was nothing different to look there. I checked his posts, where he rarely ever posted his pictures, but there were a few. Stalking the comments, I saw Hannah's over-friendly remarks. She was all over him, throwing compliments at him like the good 'sister' she was.

Another photo followed the former picture, which was one of me and Edward laughing at the beach together. My lips quivered and my eyes glazed at the painful sight of it and how all of that was long gone now. Pursing my lips, I put my phone aside, turning myself away from it. Hot tears stung my dry eyes, while I stared blankly in the distance. All I could think about was, where it all went wrong. And it was situations like these that made me feel feelings, I couldn't help suppress, and ended up spilling onto the journal given by Edward.

How could I achieve something more than just a glimpse?
When things take time, and time takes things.

Placing my chin on the palm of my hand, and twirling the black pen, my mind wandered in all directions of our past reminiscents. Later, after over-contemplation, the sudden realisation came to me that Edward might be watching me over from my phone, considering he had it hacked.

I quickly got up from bed, closing and opening my drawers on the nightstand, and after some rummaging, I got out a non-transparent tape. I stretched the sticky tape out of the reel and cut it from my teeth. Halving the tape into two parts, I took my phone and quickly pasted the tape in front of my camera, and the other half, on the back camera.

At least he couldn't see me anymore, in my pathetic vulnerable state.

I carefully placed my phone aside, opened my laptop and distracted myself with some leftover work from university. After several minutes of typing mindlessly about which operating systems provided more security to computers, something that ironically felt useless considering everything was vulnerable to hackers anyways.

I finally completed the last of my assignments, already feeling heavily drained. I took out a few cigarettes, and lit them up, smoking the scent of happy memories that I once had.

As the clock struck midnight, while I half lay on the bed, smoking and silently watching the hands of the clock tick, my phone suddenly rang with a new text. My head shot towards it and I slid it off the nightstand, unlocking it.

It was a text from Hayden.

Michelle, I think Edward's already telling everyone you're crazy just to cover up for what Hannah did. And he's blackmailing you by telling everyone you're cheating so you'd go back to him. Please hear me out on this one, I know what he's doing to you.