XXXVIII: Letting Go

My first instinct was to cry.

I was so vulnerable and helpless again, just like how I was back in college.

The only difference was, this time I wasn't sure if I was going to make it through.

The overwhelming emotions built inside of me, and emerged. I clutched the phone with trembling hands and quickly retrieved mine with my free hand. I opened the camera, and shakily took a picture of the texts, to make sure everyone believed me about the threats.

Hayden was right all along. Nothing with being with Edward was going to end well.

It was clear in Hannah's messages how much she despised me, and even more clear that she was blackmailing me and had much worse intentions than I had anticipated. But the fact that Edward was staying in touch with her was still alarming, and I couldn't quite place my finger on the reason behind it.

I scrolled up towards his texts but there wasn't much conversation between the two lately. There were multiple messages from her, but he didn't seem to reply to any of them.

Her sick need to destroy our relationship was evident in them, and that scared me.

I quickly backed away from the message thread, nervously fiddling through the rest of the conversations but there wasn't much there to see. Mindlessly, I scrolled through his apps and decided to check his photos application.

Several albums showcased random photos of places and him with his friends. I scrolled down and my eyes stopped at the same locked album I had come across quite long ago. There seemed to be new videos in there, all made in the dark and I couldn't quite make out what it was. I tried unlocking the album but it just wouldn't budge this time.

It only worsened my worst fears of Edward's intentions.

Before I could shift to another locked album, that was named after my name with a heart, quite surprisingly, I was interrupted by the unlocking of the main door of my house. I froze in my place stunned, wondering who it was that had access to my flats just like that since mum was probably asleep. After a while, I heard the twist of my bedroom doorknob, but since it was locked from the inside, it wasn't budging.

"Michelle?" I heard a breathless gruff after a while, and my heart felt like it stopped. It was Edward.

I hastily wiped my dried tears and kept a firm grip on his phone. Shifting off my bed, I slowly stepped towards the door, and slightly tilted the door open, revealing Edward's concerned face in the dark.

The contrasting hues in his eyes gleamed at me in the subtle darkness, then at his phone in my hands, before shifting back to me. He looked quite composed compared to the situation but that only made me more upset.

"How did you get in?" I choked.

"The front door was unlocked," he simply answered without a hint of worry on his face. "Can I have it back?" He asked in another calm voice and I shot him a disappointed stare. "Please?" He stepped inside my room, revealing his full form, and slightly closed the door behind him.

My face broke into a pained expression as I stared at the black device. "What's in the phone that I can't see?"

He simply looked at me with an unchanging emotion and then sighed. "If you're concerned about Hannah, then don't be. We're not on good terms anyways,"

"Why haven't you blocked her?" I tried to yell at him, but my voice only came out weaker. My eyes were on the verge of tears again at this point, and I waved the phone away from him out of his reach.

Edward just looked down at my hand holding his phone, and his expression mirrored mine of hurt. He exhaled an exhausted drag of breath, running his fingers through his dark hair.