VIII: Are You an Aromantic?

Tossing uncomfortably in bed, I woke up from my deep slumber, partially drenched in sweat despite the shower I had just taken last night. My phone instantly rang, the alarm annoyingly going off. I switched it off and saw quite a lot of unread conversations on my screen. I muffled a sigh, making my way up and out of bed.

Some reminder flashed in my mind and I ran back to my bed, and reread the notification set on my phone which signalled that I hadn't prepared for the history quiz, I had today. Feeling panicked for no reason, I just decided to cram for the university test instead, narrowing my focus on making it to university intact.

I was the kind of person who didn't need to put an effort into memorising things. One glance at something and I'd remember every single bit of it. The long remembrance came so naturally to me despite the short-lived moments.  

Since it was chilly outside, I decided to stick with a pair of blue loose jeans and a cream tight-fitting turtleneck. My grumbling stomach didn't seem to allow me to put any effort into makeup, so I simply just grabbed my keys and bag and finally set out.

I usually needed to walk a long way to reach the bus stop, so I had to get out a couple of minutes earlier to make it up. The grey clouds illuminated the vast sky while I got out, indicating that they would rain anytime soon, but the day seemed pretty dull and colourless, reflecting my mood. As I lazily walked, I tried to focus on my breathing and not my paranoia.

I somewhat felt watched.

I quickened my pace a tad bit, clutching tighter onto my bag strap as the only hope for my protection.

I needed to clear my head. Slowly revolting my eyes to both sides to make my suspicions wrong and fortunately, they turned out to be. There was no one in sight in the dim alleyway. Gulping down nervously, I kept walking, stepping each foot with utter carefulness. Just in case, I shakily made a cross sign across my chest, if today was the day.

Stopping for a bit to catch my breath, I bravely turned around to search for anyone in sight but to no avail there wasn't anyone. I was only hoping he wouldn't turn out from the middle of nowhere, wanting to sabotage my existence again.

Before I could face back, I crashed into something, or someone to be exact, almost tripping myself. I composed my shaky body, ready to retract, before looking up in utter fright.

"Oh my God Edward," I wearily yelled as I watched his body reverberate from laughter.

"Did I scare you?" He chuckled silently, his eyes studying my face intently.

"Oh no you didn't. I'm so happy to see you." I rolled my eyes, still shaken from the commotion.

"That's so sweet of you. You weren't replying to my texts, so I wanted to make sure you didn't kill yourself after studying history."

"That isn't an excuse Edward," I whined. "Were you stalking me though?" I internally gasped at the thought.

Oh no.

I shouldn't have asked that. I needed to stop making everything about myself.

"I'm s-"

"Well, maybe I was." He gave me a one-sided shrug and smiled a little. "You know I live around here too."

"Yeah right." I panted, and we walked together in silence for the next few minutes and finally reached the bus stop.

We sat there in silence not knowing what to do. The slight drizzling begun, making the weather chillier. The whole situation if narrated in my head, sounded like something it shouldn't be. And Edward's next move made it all the more awkward. He pulled off his black leather jacket to drape it over my shoulders for whatever reason.