VI: Something More Intoxicating

Gawking at the outrageous amount of food set on the small table, my eyes were then torn away to Edward pulling out one of the chairs for me.  If happiness was a shade of blue, then that was his eyes at that moment, seemingly proud of doing what he just did.

"Are you excited?" He added, not meaning to ask as he bit on a burger. No, I was more surprised than excited, and not even in a good way, I wanted to say. He went too out of the way, doing something like this, especially for someone like me. Unbeknownst to me over why he was doing all this and his intentions behind the nice masquerade, because if they were good, I wasn't the deserving person for it.

"So, are you going to join or keep looking at me? I mean both are good opt-" He intruded, and that just added to my already flushed expression. 

"I think that's too much." I shook my head, not even wanting to bother arguing. "I don't even have enough money right now to split-"

"Who said anything about paying back? I told you I wanted to make it up."

"That's still too much, Edward," I noted, my tone coming off whiney. I shakily took a seat, to compose myself, ignoring everything that surrounded the table parameters, as well as Edward's intense gaze.

He didn't hesitate to give me a weird look before taking a big bite of the spiced rice. Not speaking anything as he ate, I nibbled on one of the chips not knowing what to do. After a few, I was filled but the expression he cast on me in response, was one of disapproval.

"Jesus, you have no idea what you're missing out on," he said, after gulping the bite.

"Well, I'm glad you're enjoying,"

"Michelle!" We were interrupted by a light squeal. I jumped slightly in my chair at the intrusion, feeling like being caught red-handed for doing something bad.

I turned around to find Marilyn, exhausted, trying to catch her breath. Drake stood next to us calmly, a startled expression on his face at us and our small feast.

"That's some pretty lit date going on here." He chuckled, joining Edward.

I confusingly looked at him for his choice of words, not very pleased with them.

"Where have you been? I searched for you everywhere," Marilyn half whispered, taking a seat beside me. "I legit thought you ran away from this place. Not that I would've blamed if you ever would though."

"Oh, I'm sorry really. You could've texted me," I guiltily apologised.

"I did text you a couple of times, but you didn't seem to respond. Turned out you were having a really good time with another friend," She acknowledged.

"We didn't have anything else to do." I shrugged, not knowing what else to say and I swore I could've felt Edward sporting his annoying smile at that point.

"Yeah. We had a pretty great time though. Better than yours." He laughed lightly.

"You're right actually. That teacher sucks. I'd rather ditch the class next time," Drake added midway eating through the leftovers.

Marilyn didn't speak for the rest of the time. It did make me feel uncomfortable to doubt whether she was annoyed or disappointed, I couldn't quite predict. Drake and Edward on the other hand seemed to have been lost in an animated conversation, exchanging spliffs and stuff.

I took the time while Edward seemed distracted to check him out secretly, probably in hopes to find what was it that made him associate himself with someone like me. His leg was folded across his other, as he nervously tapped his other foot. He was, as usual, casually smoking a cigarette, a serious emotion lining his face. His electric eyes roamed nowhere but me as he caught me staring.