XLII: Questioning My Love

We stared at the screen in sheer startle.

There was no one, nothing related to anything I had experienced, just moments ago. I was all by myself. I knew it was fake the minute I saw it, it should've been, and there was no other possibility for it. I looked back at Edward, wide-eyed, and he gave me a concerned look.

Blinking profusely at the laptop screen, my mind whirred with all the possibilities Hannah could've pulled to try to wrong me again.

"She's making us think that whatever she did wasn't real," I quickly stated, and Edward's eyes shifted to me again. "She's trying to control our perception,"

Edward though, looked all over the place and apprehensive, as if in deep thought, not bothering to say anything. And that only made me want to get into his head and discern his thoughts. A slight frown was etched on his worried face, as he backed into the bed, pushing his hands in his hair. He looked somewhat, devastated and I couldn't exactly put a finger on what was the source of it.

His sad behaviour only erupted the nervousness in me. "Edward, what happened?"

"Nothing." He shook his head slightly, the frown still visible. He looked at me and begun. "Yeah, you must be right. Hannah is trying to get to us. But I don't know how to stop all this." His hand gestured towards the paused video on the screen, and he looked more upset than angry.

I sighed, lost for words, and any coherent thoughts. I knew Edward could only control the situation to a certain extent and I couldn't really blame him. I knew he was doing everything he had inside of him to make everything right, and that only grew my guilt over doubting him. I was so wronged to believe he had any bad intentions for me. Everything he did, he did because he was driven by Hannah and he seemed to be tired of it. I only wish I could take all his pain away.

"It'll be fine Edward, we can get through this," I assured him even though it didn't affect his expression in the slightest. He looked as if he was done with everything now. I wrapped my arms around his heavily breathing body, feeling my eyes sting with emotions at the thought.

"I don't want to lose you, Michelle," I heard him breathe exaggeratedly during the hug, and my heart felt a slight tug at his words. He held my shirt tighter in his grip, pulling me closer to him. I felt his body, breathe shakily, as he held me tight, in the fear of me getting vanished if he let go.

After a while, we pulled away, and I lifelessly lay against the bed, thinking about nothing in particular. Whereas he returned to his laptop, researching different things on the internet. I didn't bother asking what it was and got occupied with my own thoughts instead. We spent the rest of the day together, and Edward made sure he was close by and that nothing harmful happened to me. I stuck by him close, talking about all my problems, my anxiety issues and how loneliness had been bothering me so much lately.

"You won't need any friends when you have me," He cooed knowingly, his lips stretching into a small smile. "It's not safe for you anyways,"

"I don't want to be around people either. They scare me," I admitted truthfully and he slightly nodded his head. "But sometimes it kind of gets very lonely." I sighed heavily.

"I'll always be there for you, so you don't feel that way okay?" He squeezed my hand in a reassuring gesture.

"Thank you," I said, looking at him with sad eyes.

Even if it meant my life needed to be dependent on him, to feel better, then so be it. I was ready to do anything for him because there was nothing much I could do for myself.

"Can I ask you something?" Edward distracted my train of thoughts again, as he snaked his arm around mine, and I looked up to him, nodding, so he continued. "I was thinking... Perhaps we should get married. I think that would change things for the better, and I will always be by your side then. You won't feel lonely anymore," His confession held so much promise and desperation, my feelings couldn't resist them.