Episode 14A: Doggone Dogfight

(Start where the last episode left off. CHINA chuckles nervously.)

China-Oh, that. I guess I owe you an explanation.

(CUPHEAD climbs out of her arms.)

China-It was six years ago. I was returning home from a visit to Elder Kettle's when I decided that taking the boat from the Third Isle would be faster. That's when I saw it: the Devil's Casino. The problem with me is that I never met a gamble I didn't pass up, so I went in and started racking up wins at the Devil's Casino, just like you did. That's when the Devil showed up and gave me the same deal: I'd get the casino for a win and give up my soul for a loss. Without thinking, I took the bet...

Mugman-And lost.

(CHINA nods.)

China-The difference between you and me is that I wasn't brave enough to cut a deal with the Devil. I just accepted my fate. I was doomed to the rest of my life as a servant at the Devil's Casino.

Cuphead-But if we were offered the same bet as you, why didn't you try to stop us? You knew how dangerous it was.

China-I wish I had, but I just couldn't. It had been so long, I was worried that you wouldn't recognize me. You'd think, "Who's this strange woman trying to stop us?"

(She looks down.)

China-I was so scared that any chance of reuniting had been ruined. Then my one chance to talk to you came through the door, and I squandered it.

Mugman-Well, we're here now, so what is there to worry about?

(CHINA sighs.)

China-You're right.

(She grabs MUGMAN's arm and kisses him on the forehead.)

China-You're both as wonderful as I remember.

(Just then, a ladder drops down behind them.)

Cuphead-Hey, what's that?

(He walks toward the ladder.)

Chalice-It looks like the King wants to invite you back to his castle.

China-What king?

Mugman-The King of Card Games has been inviting us to fight his champions in his floating palace!

Chalice-Actually, his specialty is chess.

Cuphead-What do you say, should we go up there?

Mugman-I mean, I'm ready when you are.

China-If you really going up there to fight champions, stay safe up there.

(She crouches down and kisses them both on the side of the head.)

China-Good luck!

(CUPHEAD gives a thumbs-up.)

Cuphead-Thanks, Mom!

(He climbs up the ladder, followed by MUGMAN. Cut to the King's palace. CUPHEAD and MUGMAN are facing off against the rook, a creature with a castle tower-shaped body and an executioner's hood over it's head with an axe sitting behind a grindstone.)

Cuphead-You know, when I started climbing up the ladder, this should have been exactly what I was expecting.

Mugman-Enough about expectations. Look!